You can't please everyone all the time...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the administrators here should consider doing is enforcing common sense.
No. What the administrators here should do is make sure that all members are respectful of each other and don't post personal attacks, profanity, or links to inappropriate websites, etc. Basically, to keep this forum "clean."

If someone posts something which they pose as a fact, and not opinon, rumour, hearsay, etc., then they should be able to point directly to the source or proof of truth. Should he fail to do that, then the moderators need to intervene, not to edit or take sides, but to make sure that the readers here have all of the information.
Bovine excrement. It's not the moderators' job to make sure that the readers have anything, other than a clean, courteous environment in which to post and read other posts (see above). It's the readers' job take responsibility for themselves to decide whether or not they believe certain posts. If someone posts something that you don't believe to be true, and they fail to provide proof, then all you need to do is go up to the top of the page, click on one of the links that will take you out of the thread you are currently reading, and move on.

The moderators of this forum have lives outside of the internet. They can't babysit this forum 24 hours a day to act as the "truth police," especially considering the fact that they may not know what the "truth" is (and therefore, how are they supposed to know what to take action on, and what to let stand?). They have done a wonderful job in the couple of years that I've been on this forum of keeping things clean, and ensuring that the environment is conducive to helpful, productive discussion (unlinke a certain other forum which I shan't mention, but which I no longer visit except on rare occasion due to extreme moderator intervention, including, but not limited to, editing members' posts without their knowledge just because he doesn't like a particular word or phrase used to describe something).

I was one of the many people critical of the recent "the sky is falling" thread. I even made a post or two in that thread. My concerns/suspicions weren't adequately addressed by the member(s) in question, so do you know what I did? I stopped reading the thread. It was no longer of any interest to me, so I ignored it, even though it grew to be over ten pages long.

There is always something else on the forum to read. There's no requirement that you read every message in every thread. I honestly can't understand why some folks can't get over themselves and just let the whole situation drop. Even if this same situation comes up again, all you have to do is say to yourself "I don't believe this," and move on, and not read the thread again.

Reactions: Ziv
It seems to me that if the "mystery" guest signed in it would make no matter if it was Superman or Lois Lane. The "dead horse" is still directing non-entities and continues to act like, "Well, maybe I meant July 3rd, 2525". He did a big number on a bunch of Amtrak employees in addition to anyone reading this site.
The Big difference is that BNSF does his posting under his registered Member name and not hiding behind a non-member...non-regestered Guest name. There are several members of this forum that have expressed either dissatisfaction or a forgiving attitude over the "180 day" posting but they had the courtesy and courage to do so using their member name and not a Guest Name. The whole concept of a non member Guest being able to post to our forum is unique in itself and is in disfavor by many members. A non-member demanding anything from a member IMHO is as Robert put it,"Bovine excrement" and supports the mood of many to stop non-members from posting.

If you are not a member, I suggest you become one. As a member you can still agree/disagree with any posting if done within the forum's rules and you will have more credibility.

As for BNSF still posting, as a member that is his prerogative and I suggest like others have stated, "Don't read his post's" if you disapprove.

Also another Quote from rmadisonwi

I honestly can't understand why some folks can't get over themselves and just let the whole situation drop.
Amen Robert.............

Bovine excrement. It's not the moderators' job to make sure that the readers have anything, other than a clean, courteous environment in which to post and read other posts (see above).

Either it is the job of the moderator to police the community or not. If they are going to make value judgements on the "cleanliness" of the forum, then they can certainly enforce rules allowing dear reader to have the information that he needs to determine the efficacy of a post. By your reckoning, it's quite alright for someone to yell "fire!" in a theater, as it's up to those hearing the exclamation to determine as to whether it's true or not. That's your load of baloney.

Either it is the job of the moderator to police the community or not. If they are going to make value judgements on the "cleanliness" of the forum, then they can certainly enforce rules allowing dear reader to have the information that he needs to determine the efficacy of a post. By your reckoning, it's quite alright for someone to yell "fire!" in a theater, as it's up to those hearing the exclamation to determine as to whether it's true or not. That's your load of baloney.
It is illegal to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, for obvious reasons. If you cannot identify the obvious differences between that situation and someone posting a rumor (and presenting it as fact), then there's nothing I can do for you. I'm through with you and with this thread.

Good day.

It should be against the rules to falsely post "Amtrak is failing" in a crowded forum such as this, for obvious reasons. If you cannot identify the obvious similarities between someone posting a rumour as fact and someone yelling rumour as fact in a theater, then there's nothing anyone can do for you.

I'm fine and making plenty of sense, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 1 qusition how do you know that i am posting a rumour or fact i have ways of finding out my information thru sevral ways.

Just because it didnt happen or it was not in the news does not make it a false posting or a rumour.

Mabey the reason it didnt happen is because it was made public when the information was never suppose to reach the public in the 1st place which then puts a lot of heat on the people who were in charge of putting it into place.

A lot of you don't know who i am or what i have done for Amtrak service in the past i know how this stuff operates if you get information to the public you have a good chance of it not happning they like to do things behind the publics eye to cut trains or take services away.

The news media is the last people to know what is going to happen.

Just because it didnt happen or it was not in the news does not make it a false posting or a rumour.

On the other hand; just because you said it does not mean it was, or ever is, going to happen. Justify yourself; don't come ramming out of the roundhouse in #8 just because you can. Roaming around Lafayette, LA in a fire truck, or listening to the fire radio, does not add to your less than impeccable credentials.

The reason why some of you got the answers you did from people that you know in Amtrak is there jobs wernt at stake it was NOL so why would the people outside of NOL risk losing there jobs to say yes something is going on about train off's like i have posted before ANY AMTRAK EMPLOYEE THAT SAYS ANYTHING WILL BE FIRED ON THE SPOT that has been made very clear to Amtrak employees.

I don't think this is the first time you have made this claim about Amtrak employees being "fired on the spot". If you know anything at all about being a craft employee (i.e., union-represented) you know that such an employee cannot be "fired on the spot". What can happen is the employee can be removed from service pending the filing of charges & a formal investigation. The findings of the formal investigation may be termination or a lesser penalty. If you don't know this very basic fact about working for a railroad that is unionized, then it really calls into question the rest of your "knowledge".

Mabey the reason it didnt happen is because it was made public when the information was never suppose to reach the public in the 1st place which then puts a lot of heat on the people who were in charge of putting it into place.

Priceless! Just because the sky didn't fall doesn't mean it couldn't have! As far as information reaching the public, what the heck do you think a 180-day train-off notice represents? The purpose of it is to give the public & their elected representatives ample time to weigh in before anything actually happens.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done!

Posts #'s 33 & 34 are mine......went to a different browser & forgot to log in.

The reason why some of you got the answers you did from people that you know in Amtrak is there jobs wernt at stake it was NOL so why would the people outside of NOL risk losing there jobs to say yes something is going on about train off's like i have posted before ANY AMTRAK EMPLOYEE THAT SAYS ANYTHING WILL BE FIRED ON THE SPOT that has been made very clear to Amtrak employees.

I don't think this is the first time you have made this claim about Amtrak employees being "fired on the spot". If you know anything at all about being a craft employee (i.e., union-represented) you know that such an employee cannot be "fired on the spot". What can happen is the employee can be removed from service pending the filing of charges & a formal investigation. The findings of the formal investigation may be termination or a lesser penalty. If you don't know this very basic fact about working for a railroad that is unionized, then it really calls into question the rest of your "knowledge".

Me thinks the sentationalism of his own doing has gotten the better of him. Maybe if everyone would ignore this "Director" (the title that he bequeathed upon himself), he would just go the way of used diesel fuel; into the wind to never be seen again. He has to know what an official railroad investigation entails but presumes that the vast majority of non-railroad readers will bite into his baited hook. Good luck and don't think you have impressed too many people with your garbled nonsense.

Me thinks the sentationalism of his own doing has gotten the better of him. Maybe if everyone would ignore this "Director" (the title that he bequeathed upon himself), he would just go the way of used diesel fuel; into the wind to never be seen again. He has to know what an official railroad investigation entails but presumes that the vast majority of non-railroad readers will bite into his baited hook. Good luck and don't think you have impressed too many people with your garbled nonsense.
I certainly hope this thread doesn't run 10 pages like the last ridiclous smear thread did. I think there was a reason the moderators locked it down and hope this one and new ones on the same subject will be locked.

I have 1 qusition how do you know that i am posting a rumour or fact i have ways of finding out my information thru sevral ways.
There are three complete sentences there, but only one period and one capitalised word. Furthurmore, it's a false argument.

I know something, that you don't, that makes everything that I type here true. And I'm not going to tell you what that something is. Prove me wrong. Let everyone here know it.

Once you've done that, BNSF_1088, I will be able to answer your challenge.

And the reason why i cant say where it comes from is like i have said time and time agian employees will get fired for giving out information and i will never get an Amtrak employee in any trouble.

So thats why i won't say where i get the information from.

Well if you know RR slang we use the word getting fired as time off work such as 30 days which this would fall under.

name='BNSF_1088' post='54335' date='Sun, Aug 6, 2006, 05:57 AM']I have 1 qusition how do you know that i am posting a rumour or fact i have ways of finding out my information thru sevral ways.
There are three complete sentences there, but only one period and one capitalised word.

Soooooo, What is the Grammar lesson suppose to mean? :blink: He also had 2 misspelled words out of 27 and you had 1 misspelled word out of 14

I noticed on another rail fan site that I will not name, but will call OTOL, that the moderator singled out a post

that had several misspelled words. In pointing this out he more or less insisted that if a person couldn't spell well or use the spelling guide to correct his spelling, to not post. Is this your meaning or is it that incorrect grammar is an indication of like of intelligence?

name='BNSF_1088' post='54335' date='Sun, Aug 6, 2006, 05:57 AM']

There are three complete sentences there, but only one period and one capitalised word.

Soooooo, What is the Grammar lesson suppose to mean? :blink: He also had 2 misspelled words out of 27 and you had 1 misspelled word out of 14

I noticed on another rail fan site that I will not name, but will call OTOL, that the moderator singled out a post

that had several misspelled words. In pointing this out he more or less insisted that if a person couldn't spell well or use the spelling guide to correct his spelling, to not post. Is this your meaning or is it that incorrect grammar is an indication of like of intelligence?
Let me explain something to you i have a dissabilty in reading and writing at a 3rd grade level.

Well if you know RR slang we use the word getting fired as time off work such as 30 days which this would fall under.

Oh no, you're not getting off that easy. I spent 29 years as a craft employee for 3 railroads, retiring after 19 years with Amtrak, so yes, I do know railroad slang. "Fired" is not a term one would ever use for an employee getting "time on the ground" (as we referred to it at Amtrak) with a return to work at the end of the suspension period. "Fired" means just that, dismissed from the service permanently after a formal investigation.

Just another example of your casual relationship with what the rest of us call "facts".

name='BNSF_1088' post='54335' date='Sun, Aug 6, 2006, 05:57 AM']

Let me explain something to you i have a dissabilty in reading and writing at a 3rd grade level.
You don't have to explain anything to me BNSF...I just didn't think it proper to be attacked for grammar skills among other things.....

Let me say one thing; I put in over 35 years on the railroad both on the ground and the majority of it in the cab of a locomotive. I have pulled everything from circus trains to steam passenger trains. Yes, maybe some manager MIGHT have said, "You'll be fired on the spot" and yes, just maybe, there was a 180 day list out there somewhere waiting to be implemented. But don't you think that perhaps you might have consulted with someone such as the administrator (or someone you trust) before you put out such hard hitting posts? You seem to never want to look back; it is over a month since your famous "Sky is falling" post. The sky is still there even though it is raining today. Who cares who your "unknown" sources are. They are not winning any fans on this site. Besides, they may or may not exist.

With all the havoc you have created it is not high time that you admit that all your information is not correct? I'm surprised that the BN-SF even hired you if you are as functionally illiterate as you now claim. I don't think too many on this site will bite into that one. Besides, I've probably pulled more trains over the Huey Long Bridge than you can make up stories. Good luck, you're going to need it. This is one post and subject I'm holding an investigation on right here and now. You're outright dismissed with a level 5 and de-certified as a poster that has absolutely no creditability as far as I'm concerned. I'll not waste any other legitimate posters time with this "sand house" nonsense. (I doubt you even know what sand-house is.) I'm thrilled that you do not work for our railroad. You might have been legitimately fired long before now.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the reason why i cant say where it comes from is like i have said time and time agian employees will get fired for giving out information and i will never get an Amtrak employee in any trouble.
So thats why i won't say where i get the information from.
And the reason that you're wrong is because I type it here. Like I said, I won't tell you the something that makes what I type here true. That something will disappear for making what I type here true, and I will never let that something disappear.

So you're just going to have to deal with being wrong, or realise that there is a difference between someone telling you something and that something being a fact.

Soooooo, What is the Grammar lesson suppose to mean? :blink: He also had 2 misspelled words out of 27 and you had 1 misspelled word out of 14I noticed on another rail fan site that I will not name, but will call OTOL, that the moderator singled out a post

So, mister I-can't-be-bothered-to-register-and-login, what are you trying to say? I don't believe that I made any statements concerning misspelled words, other websites which you suppose not to have named, or intelligence. By your mention, I can only infer that *you* are implying that these things are important to *you*.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to stuff words into my mouth, that's simply pretty cowardly. But at least it's a coherent bit of misdirection.

It's a sad day when I can't take a weekend train trip without coming back to personal attacks on the forum. Common courtesy to fellow railfans has been one of our strong points in the past.

I understand that this is a passionate and charged topic for many of you, but we must try to remain civil, including our unregistered posters. To those who have, thank you.

I am typing this on a cell phone on the train but will go through these messages when I am back at my desk later this morning. Thanks for your patience.

It's a sad day when I can't take a weekend train trip without coming back to personal attacks on the forum.

I understand that this is a passionate and charged topic for many of you, but we must try to remain civil, including our unregistered posters. To those who have, thank you.

Mr. Administrator,

I do not think that my post is a personal "attack." It is how one legitimate railroader feels about what one person has done. Three pages of rebuttals ought to speak for themselves. Let this person continue his "Bull in a China Shop" march and this site will be worthless. And I am certain, from your previous posts, that you do not want this valuable tool to go down the tubes. If only there was just some qualification in all of this like, "I think this is going to happen" or "Rumor has it..." it would have been a much better approach to what you, yourself, call a "charged" topic.

So, mister I-can't-be-bothered-to-register-and-login, what are you trying to say? I don't believe that I made any statements concerning misspelled words, other websites which you suppose not to have named, or intelligence. By your mention, I can only infer that *you* are implying that these things are important to *you*.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to stuff words into my mouth, that's simply pretty cowardly. But at least it's a coherent bit of misdirection.
Not putting words into your mouth just questioning and pointing out your unreasonable attack on someone's

grammar. If you can't see the point of my reply I feel no need to try to explain it except the other site was wanting proper grammar. What was the reason for pointing out the three sentences , etc things? You couldn't even answer my question without an attack and is a reason I don't care to register or become a regular member.

Good Luck Mr. Administrator, I'm out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back