You eat in your room? Why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We prefer to eat in the diner as 90% of our experiences have been positive and educational. I am a people person and have enjoyed conversations with: Australian tourists, Amish folk, a Russian grad student, a 21 year old girl traveling around the world, many professors of different subjects, boy scouts heading to New Mexico, families going to funerals, and hundreds of others who make up the world community. Avoid politics and religion and talk trains.

We prefer to eat in the diner as 90% of our experiences have been positive and educational. I am a people person and have enjoyed conversations with: Australian tourists, Amish folk, a Russian grad student, a 21 year old girl traveling around the world, many professors of different subjects, boy scouts heading to New Mexico, families going to funerals, and hundreds of others who make up the world community. Avoid politics and religion and talk trains.
To add ... I met a couple four years ago who have become lifelong friends! There are a wealth of possibilities and connections when dining together 'community seating style.' And yes... avoid politics and specific points of view... be open minded... and talk trains!

And then there have been not so pleasant situations... once I was seated next to an individual who rolled his eyes and refused to move over... he was sitting in the center of the seat. Instinctively I went to the waiter and told him 'this isn't working' and so he moved me somewhere else.

If there is someone who is coughing and sneezing... I discreetly tell the waiter I forgot something in my room and need to look for it... I'll be back later.

COVID brings another set of precautions... one must weigh and balance risk vs sitting across from others with masks off and eating. And while Amtrak is now seating parties separately, I may choose to eat in my room. My opinion and my choice.

I also prefer dining car on a long distance trip. It's almost like going out to eat. ;) While I am not the most social person, I have enjoyed meeting some very interesting people. Everyone has a story. I do believe you gain something from any person you meet in life, no matter how brief or inconsequential. Sure, there are some awkward moments with people who are more introverted than I am, but that passes.

Oh, yes....EVERYONE has a story; I have to say, me and my spouse have had some very interesting and entertaining table mates in the dining car. Always on Empire Builder; one guy, huge, about 6'9'' and 300+ lbs, all muscle. Very intimidating size, could barely fit at the table, but hugely entertaining conversation. Another time, a young'un working the oilfields in the midwest, had stories too.

Amen, amen! Some time back in the Before Times, my husband and I were seated with what appeared to be a couple. I say, "appeared to be," since they both stared at their phones continually through the meal and didn't interact with each other at all. (They did leave together, so maybe at some point they shared a word or two together...I dearly hope.) We greeted them as we sat down, the male grunted at us and the female nodded at us. That was the sum total of the 'conversation' we had.
Yea, we had one of those too; I actually think the couple we were seated with (who didn't even speak as we sat down and said hello) were conversing with each other by text. Really rude and anti-social. But I've observed that in restaurants as well, between families, where people don't know how to carry on a conversation and just can't put down their phones.

Yea, we had one of those too; I actually think the couple we were seated with (who didn't even speak as we sat down and said hello) were conversing with each other by text. Really rude and anti-social. But I've observed that in restaurants as well, between families, where people don't know how to carry on a conversation and just can't put down their phones.
Okay, I'll admit, I use my phone too much. But conversating via text while at dinner together? Really? Why even go to the diner (or out in public) if you're going to do that.

Back