YouTubers/websites and learning more

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many rail/transit advocates out there, many of them on YouTube. Some of these channels include RMtransit, SimplyRailways, Distant Signal.
There are however, many knowledgeable people on this forum, and often I find myself discovering contradicting information a many places.

So, what are some resources that you all would recommend/trust? Where do you feel is the best place to learn more about rail, in part so I can repeat things I learn in good conscience, and hope it’s true.

I love Simply_Railway (I believe he is riding the Ocean next week.), and have found basically all of his information accurate -- although sometimes not in full detail.

Personally, I would trust this forum over most, if not all, YouTubers. People on here have a lot of first-hand experience and connections, not to mention several former and current employees of Amtrak. YouTubers will google it and check other YouTube videos, which in most cases will get them the right answer but here it will be more detailed and in many cases more credible.

Last edited:
There are many rail/transit advocates out there, many of them on YouTube. Some of these channels include RMtransit, SimplyRailways, Distant Signal.
In my view there is a difference between fanning, evangelizing, and advocacy. For instance, Distant Signal is a an enthusiastic vlogger but I've never heard him say anything about supporting passenger rail outside of an occasional joy ride with 99% of his on-camera travel employing road vehicles. Simply Railway is a devout passenger rail evangelist but groups like RPA are the real advocates when it comes to pushing for improved passenger rail policies.

There are however, many knowledgeable people on this forum, and often I find myself discovering contradicting information a many places. So, what are some resources that you all would recommend/trust? Where do you feel is the best place to learn more about rail, in part so I can repeat things I learn in good conscience, and hope it’s true.
You'll need to be more specific if you want a clear answer and no one source is always right. Even here on AU I feel that there is a significant divide between understanding commuter rail compared to long distance services and knowing one does not imply knowing the other.

Last edited:
A relatively new YouTuber who has come along in recent months is Rail Weekly. Small following so far but I hope he gains an audience. His videos are relatively short (8-13 minutes) but are well produced and informative. They verge on advocacy but he also does a good job providing historical context for a young guy. Also, Railways Explained is a good source of information but is more internationaly focused.

I like the reviews that don't focus entirely on the negative - especially when it comes to Amtrak or VIA. Noted airline reviewers Paul Lucas and Jeb Brooks have done fairly objective reviews of Amtrak long-distance and Paul has also done the Ocean. Brits Dylan Bowes and Mark Smith (Seat61), who normally focus on European railways, have also visited North America and were impressed. As others have noted, I've subscribed to Simply Railway since he arrived on the scene. As is more obvious since he started narrating instead of captioning his videos, he's French, very knowledgeable about world railways (works for Alstom) and lives part of the year in Missouri. Danny Harmon (Distant Signal) is Florida-based with a bit of a CSX freight bias from location, however does have some Amtrak reviews in his archives and is still a fan. Half of his latest post (Locomotive Numbers) features excellent footage of the Silver Star in two locations.

If you like to follow along with construction projects, like I do, The Roaming Railfan and The Four Foot have the most extensive video documentation. There are others.

If you like to follow along with construction projects, like I do, The Roaming Railfan and The Four Foot have the most extensive video documentation. There are others.
I agree this format is new and very much appreciated. Watching construction has been very fascinating over the years. I blame my Uncle for taken me around in his concrete truck when I was 12. The whole art form of coordination a job site to get it finished in a timely manner is amazing. The people who do it are not always approachable (bother-in-law/ brother-in-law mangers sky scraper) but when you can just sit back and watch. It’s quite enjoyable.

Back