Quantcast

You've been appointed President of Amtrak....with a catch

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

IndyLions

OBS Chief
-Second sightseer lounge that will act the same way as the parlor car did. Only for sleeper passengers, however coach can buy access for a day or the trip. (Similar to a Metropolitan Lounge pass)
The idea to allow non-sleeper passengers to buy a day pass in the first class lounge car is a pretty good one. They would need to limit the number of passes available to keep the service quality high – but I like the idea!

MARC Rider

Conductor
Lost the Sunset, Cardinal, Star, Palmetto, CONO,
Considering that the Palmetto provides useful (and well-patronized) transportation service connecting the eastern Carolinas to the northeast, it might be a good idea to think about how it could be retained. Or explain to the folks in Charleston, Florence, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, etc. why they need to sacrifice service that's useful to them in order to have "experiential" trains for tourists out west. :)

Philly Amtrak Fan

Conductor
Considering that the Palmetto provides useful (and well-patronized) transportation service connecting the eastern Carolinas to the northeast, it might be a good idea to think about how it could be retained. Or explain to the folks in Charleston, Florence, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, etc. why they need to sacrifice service that's useful to them in order to have "experiential" trains for tourists out west. :)
Cal's plan keeps the Silver Meteor which includes most if not all of the stops that the Palmetto has now. If you have to cut LD trains, I'd rather cut the Palmetto than the California Zephyr or Southwest Chief. The Palmetto is the Silver Meteor without serving Florida. It's like if the Lake Shore Limited stopped in South Bend or stopped in Albany, what's the point?

Cal

Lead Service Attendant
Cal's plan keeps the Silver Meteor which includes most if not all of the stops that the Palmetto has now. If you have to cut LD trains, I'd rather cut the Palmetto than the California Zephyr or Southwest Chief. The Palmetto is the Silver Meteor without serving Florida. It's like if the Lake Shore Limited stopped in South Bend or stopped in Albany, what's the point?
Right on

MARC Rider

Conductor
Nope. The Silver Meteor serves the Carolina towns during the middle of the night. That's not exactly useful transportation services for people living in those communities.

Cal

Lead Service Attendant
Nope. The Silver Meteor serves the Carolina towns during the middle of the night. That's not exactly useful transportation services for people living in those communities.
I made the Meteor service twice daily, with them 12 hours apart. So that means there will be one daytime service too.

MARC Rider

Conductor
Mhm. I know those are popular, but I don't want to sacrifice western routes for Florida routes, so I just cut down Florida by one train.
OK, I went back to the original premise, and it included a stipulation that Amtrak got funding for expanded corridor service. The Palmetto is really an extended corridor train, so what I would do is transfer the Palmetto over to corridor service (and maybe even add one or two additional corridor trains down the A line from Washington to either Fayetteville or Charleston, depending on which states are willing to chip in for the funding.) Twice daily Silver Service with a Tampa section (instead of having the whole train take the detour to Tampa) would be nice if it would allow for a morning arrival in south Florida and an afternoon arrival in the northeast.

Cal

Lead Service Attendant
OK, I went back to the original premise, and it included a stipulation that Amtrak got funding for expanded corridor service. The Palmetto is really an extended corridor train, so what I would do is transfer the Palmetto over to corridor service (and maybe even add one or two additional corridor trains down the A line from Washington to either Fayetteville or Charleston, depending on which states are willing to chip in for the funding.) Twice daily Silver Service with a Tampa section (instead of having the whole train take the detour to Tampa) would be nice if it would allow for a morning arrival in south Florida and an afternoon arrival in the northeast.
I agree