Zephyr night 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rider

OK we're about an hour beyond Ft. Morgan Colorado... into the rough tracks of Nebraska. It is raining hard out; for the first time I am experiencing the sound of rain on a tin roof ... of a train. Amazingly loud over the sound of the rough tracks and the associated train rattles.

But it is all good. Excellent steak and companionship tonight. Running late; we still have to get around (well, across) the big river. But as long as I get to CHI in time for the LSL departure at 9:30 tomorrow night, I am cool with it (there's that controversial phrase again).

All crews/staff excellent. And I have forgotten in almost 2 years how very amazing the scenery thru the Rockies is. What a ride. For those discussing which train to take for scenery, just go ahead and book the CZ; ask no more questions. A no-brainer. Now that I have done the Chief and the CS, (both of which were GREAT) - it all comes home to the Zephyr.

Thanks to all who respond to my posts as a guest. Oh and thanks again AGR. Most of ALL thanks to my beautiful twin grand daughters that I got to spend an extra week with due to frustrating cancellations and re-bookings (4 in all).

I am so glad that you are having a wonderful trip. I know it can be frustrating when there is a delay, and it definitely stinks to have to miss work. I hope you make your connection to the LSL and then make it safely back to Maine. I was just there last weekend - it rained the entire time - hoping my next trip up there the weather is a little nicer.

Thanks.

Update: we crossed the Missouri around 7:30 - the conductor pointed out flooded areas and also the amazing repairs which went on all this past 7 days or so - including substantial new levees and raised track beds. Then from Creston passengers were bused back to Omaha. We are running about an hour and a half late it seems.

Next: LSL in AGR award roomette as far as Toledo then into coach til Boston - hoping no one else has the roomette booked from TOL, maybe I can sleep in a bit longer!

I see the thread has been relegated to travelogue status - I had thought the information on the Zephyr restoration to service might be of general interest - perhaps I disclosed too much personal information. Anyhow - if anyone is reading in this corner of the room, the CZ made its first Eastbound run since the disruption in good shape, arrived Chicago only about an hour and a half late - pretty darned good considering all the work that was done to the tracks.

Here I am a few weeks after the trip and hanging out on the forum a lot! I can tell there will be more trips very soon, I believe after many trips I am deeply hooked on train travel. There are worse addictions, I am sure.

Saving my AGR points and looking at timetables all the time. Where to/when? We'll see....

We made the same trip on the CZ about a week later than you did. It was a real mess. Our train got there two and a half hours too late to make our train to Pittsburgh, but Amtrak took good care of us, putting us up in a hotel and giving us money for food, so we didn't have any complaints.

It is absolutely a beautiful trip through the Rockies. :D

We have been trying to think about what to do next year, and we're starting to plan a trip on the SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back