Zip Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Train Rider

Service Attendant
This great car rental idea has been spreading across the country. Does anyone know if they are by any Amtrak stations -- especially those on commuter corridors? Seems they would provide great flexibility to those traveling by Amtrak on a day trip and needed a flexible way to get around.

There are two Zipcars in the parking lot across the street from King Street Station in Seattle. This service (and ones like it elsewhere) is very convenient if you only need a car for a couple of hours. At some point, though, daily rates for rental cars are a better deal.

There are two Zipcars in the parking lot across the street from King Street Station in Seattle. This service (and ones like it elsewhere) is very convenient if you only need a car for a couple of hours. At some point, though, daily rates for rental cars are a better deal.
I used to have a girlfriend that had a corporate Zipcar membership. We made extensive use of it, because we didn't have to pay for the membership. Realistically...rental cars are cheaper. Zipcar does add up pretty fast if you're holding on to a car for more than a couple hours. A quick check told me I can have Hertz give me a car all day tomorrow for $63 (albeit I have to gas the thing up) and Zipcar would be $84 (while gas is included, there's the $25 application fee and the $60 annual fee). If you did that six times in a year:

Hertz: $558 ($63x6 plus estimated $30 in gas x6)

Zipcar: $589 ($84x6 plus $85 in fees)

But if you did it only twice in a year:

Hertz: $186

Zipcar: $253 ($228 if you're already a member)

Granted, I picked the cheapest car on Hertz, but those Zipcar fees are also using cheaper cars. Zipcar does scale with car type too (for instance, we got a BMW 328xi for a few hours because we were on vacation and that thing was $112 a day).

I think these services are good for somebody that needs a rental car frequently, quickly, and only for short periods.

There are two Zipcars in the parking lot across the street from King Street Station in Seattle.
There are actually two ZipCar parking spots right at the King Street entrance to the station, next to the handicap spot (closer to the entrance than the handicap spot). But I've never seen cars in them, and the ZipCar web site doesn't list cars as being available there, so I'm not sure what the story is. Maybe there WILL be cars there soon.

8706547524_a261fbb471_c.jpg

A few convenient Zipcar and rental spots on the east coast I know from experience as a frequent train rider who occasionally needs a car:

-In NJ, there are cars at MET and PJC, though they sell out often. (And I think the MET one is listed as "NY Metro-NJT" or something obscure like that.)

-It's really only useful for NJT riders, but there's an Avis office at the New Brunswick Hyatt, two blocks from NBK, that I've used before.

-In northern Virginia, a bunch of Zipcars are available at the King Street metro stop (adjacent to Amtrak ALX) and Braddock Road (one stop down, less than a mile away) as well as Franconia-Springfield (Metro terminus, former limited Amtrak stop, still a VRE stop).

One cost-saving tip is that if no one has booked the car right before you, you can get in the car 15 minutes early, no extra charge. I'll often try that both to save money and to get familiar with lights, mirrors, etc.

Braddock Road (one stop down, less than a mile away)
A head's up though: I'm not sure I've ever actually seen these cars! That's my Metro stop, so I see the Zipcar signs every day. There must be fierce competition to get them. Also they replaced one of them with a Zipvan spot.

It's not a corridor, but I know Pittsburgh has a couple a few blocks west of the station. Maybe I'm made of braver stuff (I'm not) but I had no worries about walking to and from the garage and PGH in the single digit hours of the morning.

I looked into the possibility of using one while I was in NYC for the weekend. The cost (having to buy a membership at $25 plus $60 annual fee) was pretty high for just a few hours rental. Also, the reservation terms were pretty strict - IIRC, you have to reserve the car for a specific period of time. If you return early, no refund, if you are late, you're penalized at the hourly rate PLUS $50 per hour. Damage fee is $750, which I have heard some stories about minimal issues resulting in the fee being assessed. Also, not having ever driven in the city, I didn't want the liability.

Since I don't have Zipcar where I live, the annual fee wasn't worth the low hourly rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of a Zip Car service. Hopefully they will become less expensive over time. I don't typically need a large car or a brand new car. Heck my own car is a ten year old compact. I just need a car that is smoke free and well maintained. If I need something larger or fancier I'll rent something from a full service rental location on those occasions.

A great service I've used in many cities around the US is Car2Go.

Really cool service as you don't have to return the car where you found it as long as you stay in the city limits.

Use it all the time here in DC but the best was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago: stepped of the EB and looked up the closest car, hopped right in with my luggage and was at the space needle in less than 30 minutes.

Granted they are a little expensive but great for short trips in the city to areas that aren't well served by Public Transit.

I like the idea of a Zip Car service. Hopefully they will become less expensive over time. I don't typically need a large car or a brand new car. Heck my own car is a ten year old compact. I just need a car that is smoke free and well maintained. If I need something larger or fancier I'll rent something from a full service rental location on those occasions.
This service has been in my area for 10+ years. I don't think it will become less expensive than what it is already. It is wonderful for people in urban areas that don't need cars all the time.

This service has been in my area for 10+ years. I don't think it will become less expensive than what it is already. It is wonderful for people in urban areas that don't need cars all the time.
Most of the time I can find a rental car for a good rate, so long as I'm keeping it for a few days. But, if I end up only needing a rental car for a few hours, I often get hit with "early return" penalty fees. That annoys me to no end. They get the car back early with low miles but they charge me more in the process? Bleh! That's when a Zip Car like service would be great, at least in theory, but so long as they cost the same or more than a rental I'm still getting less for the same or more money. Not very attractive to my wallet.

Most of the time I can find a rental car for a good rate, so long as I'm keeping it for a few days. But, if I end up only needing a rental car for a few hours, I often get hit with "early return" penalty fees. That annoys me to no end. They get the car back early with low miles but they charge me more in the process? Bleh! That's when a Zip Car like service would be great, at least in theory, but so long as they cost the same or more than a rental I'm still getting less for the same or more money. Not very attractive to my wallet.
The purpose of zip car is really for a rental is for a very short term - less than a day or just a few hours. The point is that they have locations that are attractive and easy for urban dwellers.

I get that its not a good deal for you - but you really aren't their target market, either. I don't think zipcar is an inexpensive service. but its a convenient service and many urbanites use it instead of having a car. For them, its a good deal. :)

The purpose of zip car is really for a rental is for a very short term - less than a day or just a few hours. The point is that they have locations that are attractive and easy for urban dwellers.

I get that its not a good deal for you - but you really aren't their target market, either. I don't think zipcar is an inexpensive service. but its a convenient service and many urbanites use it instead of having a car. For them, its a good deal. :)
Yeah, the target market for Zipcar is my roommate: gets one Saturday morning to drive to the supermarket and Target, grabs a pick-up go pick up a piece of furniture, and so on.

I get that its not a good deal for you - but you really aren't their target market, either. I don't think zipcar is an inexpensive service. but its a convenient service and many urbanites use it instead of having a car. For them, its a good deal.
On ZipCar's webpage it has a list of answers to the question of "Is Zipcar for me?"

1. I want to save money. - Yes, absolutely!

2. I take public transit, but need a car sometimes. - Yes, when I'm in other cities.

3. I don't want the hassle of owning a car. - No, this does not apply to me.

4. I want to do my part to take care of our planet. - Yes, absolutely!

5. Once in a while I need a second car. - Yes, absolutely!

6. I need a big car for a big job. - Yes, absolutely!

7. I want to impress my boss. - I honestly don't care what my boss thinks of what I drive but having a sporty car on weekends or a luxury car for a special occasion can be a lot of fun. So I guess that's a yes?

I'm batting at least 70% on Zipcar's own list.

Unfortunately Zipcar seems to be having a hard time beating the cost of a traditional rental.

Which I guess makes sense if Zipcar is really owned by a traditional rental company.

Looks like Hertz and Avis have done a great job corning the market and killing any serious competition.

Just to mention that Zip Car offers pickup trucks and vans too. I can see these being useful if one has that rare need to move something larger than can fit in their regular car. Though, the Zip Car website isn't really clear on how one gets these, other than some elf drops it off in the middle of the night, into one of their parking spaces.

Also, from the Zip Car website, they have reserved spaces and cars at PHL (30th Street).

Devil's advocate, Zipcar is now owned by Avis. But I believe that is something that happened in the last six months. Avis bought it for approximately $500 million.

I still firmly believe that their target market is mainly comprised of young urbanites who save money by using the service and not having their own car.

Before I even drive my car one mile a year it costs me $1000/car tax plus $1000/insurance. So I pay $2,000/year just for the privilege of my car parked on the street in my city and using it when I want. Obviously a service like zipcar can save huge $$$ for someone who only needs a car by the hour once a month or a few times a year. It doesn't seem to me like the primary market is that of traveling folks - it is people who live in the cities where the cars are. But maybe that strategy is changing now that its owned by Avis, I don't know.

Also, most schools/colleges/universities have a deal with zipcar where the students get free membership. I have even been offered free memberships by my alumni association. I once worked for a nonprofit that received a free membership and we used zipcar when we needed a car for a business meeting offsite.

I am not surprised to hear that zipcar doesn't actually save you money. You and I can agree to disagree on whether you are their target market, but it seems to be a fairly successful service in the North East where it has become pretty firmly entrenched in Boston, NYC, Providence, New Haven, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back