Zones

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally it would but you may have to argue with AGR to let them allow you to overnight in CHI on your own dime as the CZ and Eagle do not have legal connection times.

The #5 connects with a bus in Galesburg to the #21 in Springfield, no need to go to CHI. However, a night in CHI is always enjoyable if I could do it that way!

I forgot about the Galesburg Connection-And I have taken it twice. For some reason when I tossed in a couple trial dates no service showed up. I may have been hitting dates the High Speed upgrades have CHI-STL service suspended.

And the OP probably realizes this, but the Zone issue becomes a moot point in late January. You can book using the zone system until then.

I am FINALLY going to make this trip! I leave SLC on Jan. 21 and arrive FTW on the 23rd. Trip is booked, and a 1 zone redemption out of Denver will fufill my bucket list for a roomette. I have never had a sleeper before so it's about time. I paid for a separate coach seat from SLC to DEN so I could do it this way as I only had barely more than 15,000 points saved up. I wound up with train 6 roomette #6 on car 0631 and it looks okay to me. I got roomette #19 on the Texas Eagle so I am assuming I will be on the Transdorm with the crew. I'm just wondering how the transdorm works out for people. I honestly don't care which room they gave me as I am fulfilling a dream!

I was in the transdorm on the Texas Eagle. It was really quiet, as it was mostly crew with maybe two other passengers. The only issue I had was that the horn was louder (you're right behind the loco), but earplugs helped with that.

I did like the shower/bathroom combos. Plus, the crew kept the coffee brewing all day and night. :)

Right on SarahZ! I think the transdorm is for me. I have no problem with the horn, it's like sleepy music to me, and fond memories of my days on the railroad. And free flowing coffee would be a plus!

Back