Atlantic Coast (Silver/Palmetto/Carolinian) Service discussion Q4 2023 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw 98 in Deland today with same consist as described above. Good to see a healthier train size.

I’m sure this isn’t news to many but I didn’t realize Amtrak was renaming VL1 sleepers and this began in 2015 to match the VL2 cars being built. When I first saw this car I thought it was a VL2 since it had a name on it.

Croton River was built in 1996 and named Imperial View. I presume it was just a number, 62014, after Amtrak did away with naming. Good to see names are back!

All VL2 sleepers are in the ‘River’ series. Historically that name for a sleeper series was used by many railroads including, appropriately, the Atlantic Coast Line. Ironically, the ACL got those cars in 1962 from the NYC where they had been in the ‘Imperial’ series as 4DBR-4CPT-2DR cars. More sleeper trivia, thanks to Larry Goolsby’s excellent book- Atlantic Coast Line Passenger Service, the postwar years.

The Sunrail platform is essentially finished and remaining work appears to be finish paving the entrance, light poles, and landscaping. I’m guessing it’ll be open for Sunrail by July.

1716407092322.jpeg

I saw 98 in Deland today with same consist as described above. Good to see a healthier train size.

I’m sure this isn’t news to many but I didn’t realize Amtrak was renaming VL1 sleepers and this began in 2015 to match the VL2 cars being built. When I first saw this car I thought it was a VL2 since it had a name on it.

Croton River was built in 1996 and named Imperial View. I presume it was just a number, 62014, after Amtrak did away with naming. Good to see names are back!

All VL2 sleepers are in the ‘River’ series. Historically that name for a sleeper series was used by many railroads including, appropriately, the Atlantic Coast Line. Ironically, the ACL got those cars in 1962 from the NYC where they had been in the ‘Imperial’ series as 4DBR-4CPT-2DR cars. More sleeper trivia, thanks to Larry Goolsby’s excellent book- Atlantic Coast Line Passenger Service, the postwar years.
Here are the Viewliner I Sleeper Names:

http://on-track-on-line.com/amtkrinf-viewname.shtml

Yeah we did bury the lead.

Sliver Star is not going north of Washington DC. Various reason given, not sure what is going to happen or why.

If you need the Star take a regional or Acela from NYP to Washington DC. Then of course transfer trains.
So, I'll no longer be able to go from RMT to NYP on the Star? Basically I'll need to go RMT to WAS and then once I arrive book WAS to NYP since the arrival time in WAS is rarely on time.

So, I'll no longer be able to go from RMT to NYP on the Star? Basically I'll need to go RMT to WAS and then once I arrive book WAS to NYP since the arrival time in WAS is rarely on time.
They are still working on a fix. Normally you could just let the computer pick your connection train and have it a guaranteed connection. This change is a bit of an unknown. So it might be something you want to talk to Amtrak about. Or just give yourself a 2 hour window. Not really sure what I would do, as the Star is not practical for me from where I live.

We are just not sure on the what, why, and how long this is going to happen. So have fun reading the tea leafs. They might have a better solution then this community.

They are still working on a fix. Normally you could just let the computer pick your connection train and have it a guaranteed connection. This change is a bit of an unknown. So it might be something you want to talk to Amtrak about. Or just give yourself a 2 hour window. Not really sure what I would do, as the Star is not practical for me from where I live.

We are just not sure on the what, why, and how long this is going to happen. So have fun reading the tea leafs. They might have a better solution then this community.
I'll definitely keep following the posts here. Used to live in Baltimore, so was spoiled for choices to NY. Moved to NC recently and have now taken the Roomette option enough that we recognize the SCA on the return trip. Hate to see that go, though on our trip last Thursday we got bounced to Coach due to an equipment failure with our particular Roomette.

Well, as you point out, the Star is often delayed. So, regardless of changes to its schedule, I would think the Carolinian would be your train of choice (unless you’re splurging on a roomette)? It’s only 90 minutes or so behind the Star and also has business class if you want to avoid crowded coaches and get an assigned seat.

Last edited:

The Sunrail platform is essentially finished and remaining work appears to be finish paving the entrance, light poles, and landscaping. I’m guessing it’ll be open for Sunrail by July.

View attachment 36740
Went to DeLand station today to check on my 6/5 NB accomodations. Agent seemed to say that there will be 3 sleepers and that 9810 and 9812 will be VL II. 9811 will be VLI. He says he has been staff on LD and that when cars are added, the old VL is in the middle because staff uses those rooms and needs in room facilities at all hours. I'll be on board in early June --hoping for VLi.

PS The SunRail station looks very good Surrounding parking is still unfinished but I can imagine getting off a SB Amtrak and changing to a SunRail to whisk through Orlando and farther south to Poinciana where Amtrak does not go.

Last edited:
Went to DeLand station today to check on my 6/5 NB accomodations. Agent seemed to say that there will be 3 sleepers and that 9810 and 9812 will be VL II. 9811 will be VLI. He says he has been staff on LD and that when cars are added, the old VL is in the middle because staff uses those rooms and needs in room facilities at all hours. I'll be on board in early June --hoping for VLi.
That was true in past years, but so far this year, 9810 has been VL1; 9811 & 9812 have been VL2.

Only 2 sleepers on 91(23). Probably because 92(21) didn't make it into NYP until almost 8am this morning due to trespasser incident in ORL compounded by the mess on the NEC last night. Just 3 hours turnaround, so I'm guessing they ran spares on 91(23).

Last edited:
91 came through DeLand today at about 11 AM, v. late but I read that there were electrical outages around NYC that delayed all trains.

You could call and ask if anything's available in 9810, but be careful that they don't increase the fare. Try asking for a supervisor if the agent wants to rebook higher.

ETA: You beat me to it! :D
That's why I went to the station. I've always gotten faster and better responses with the local agent. I''ll just hang tight and check when I board.

I rode the Carolinian last weekend. 80 up from Charlotte to DC was on time down to the minute. However, the 79 back from DC to Charlotte was an hour late. I was more than 30 minutes late 4 out of the 5 days with 3 of the days over 1 hour. One of the instances was due to the downed lines coming out of NYC. I am just seeing the increasing un reliability of CSX out of DC.

CSX out of DC is really doing a number on the Carolinian, but as you said, specifically Train 79. I was on the over 3 hours (that's a western long distance train type-delay!) late Carolinian last Tuesday. We were initially delayed due to issues in NYC, but what pushed things to unacceptably late was having to sit behind a CSX freight for at least 1.5 hours, going probably ~15-40 mph the whole time. Awful experience. Things are worst near and south of Richmond, and to Rocky Mount. The S Line restoration needs to happen yesterday! Thank goodness they are at least moving the project forward.

Back