Capitol Limited discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One result of this speculated change will be the absence of Superliner trains in the East (except for the Auto Train). So for those who are fans of these, or have not yet had the opportunity to ride them close to home, “ride ‘em while you can”. Unfortunately, it seems that the opportunity to ride in a Sightseer Lounge over Sand Patch, is already gone…😕
After reading about this rumored change, both here and elsewhere, I am definitely glad I rode the Capitol when I did.

IMO, the shortage of Superliner equipment, especially sleepers will continue until new equipment is purchased and deployed. I can see the CL continuing as it links major cities but going to single level equipment. On our trips going west from PHL , on the first leg of our trips to CHI, we have taken both the Cardinal and the CL. With the two train option to CHI (NEC, CL) vs the single train Cardinal it saves us about 4 hours but it is more convenient.

We rode the Capitol Limited, DC to Chi, from Friday afternoon May 31 until Saturday morning June 1 in a family bedroom.

First, the good news. Cliff, our attendant, was terrific.

Now, the bad news. The bunk/mattress combo in the family bedroom [room 15] was hard as a rock. We have ridden in the family bedroom Austin to LAX and back and never experienced the sleeping to be painful. Our older photos show the same leatherette seats on the Sunset as we had on the CL, so perhaps it was a difference in the mattress.

Question: should I include this as a comment to AMTRAK? Anyone else with an experience about this?

We rode the Capitol Limited, DC to Chi, from Friday afternoon May 31 until Saturday morning June 1 in a family bedroom.

First, the good news. Cliff, our attendant, was terrific.

Now, the bad news. The bunk/mattress combo in the family bedroom [room 15] was hard as a rock. We have ridden in the family bedroom Austin to LAX and back and never experienced the sleeping to be painful. Our older photos show the same leatherette seats on the Sunset as we had on the CL, so perhaps it was a difference in the mattress.

Question: should I include this as a comment to AMTRAK? Anyone else with an experience about this?
I don't know whether this is a system-wide cost-saving measure, but in the Viewliner II H-rooms, I did notice a thinner mattress on the lower berth the last couple of trips.

Could also be they're just getting compressed as they age, and need replacement.

Evidently the rumors of Superliners' demise on the Capitol Limited are yet to materialize. I am making plans for two trips west this fall, in Sept. and Oct. from Pittsburgh. All dates I have looked at show Superliner equipment available. While I am a Superliner fan, I was hoping for a second opportunity on a VII, which I enjoyed tremendously during my first time earlier this spring on the Silver Meteor.

Evidently the rumors of Superliners' demise on the Capitol Limited are yet to materialize. I am making plans for two trips west this fall, in Sept. and Oct. from Pittsburgh. All dates I have looked at show Superliner equipment available. While I am a Superliner fan, I was hoping for a second opportunity on a VII, which I enjoyed tremendously during my first time earlier this spring on the Silver Meteor.
As of now, based on lower level seating availability, it's been pushed back to 11/10/24.

Replacement of Superliner equipment on the Cap has been talked about for years here on AU. So far, no change.

Is this service restructuring an indicator of closing down one of the East River tunnel lines for 18 months of rebuilding ?
It certainly will help the cause. It also drastically improves equipment utilization and releases Superliners for use where they are more appropriate.

Back