1st-timer Question about BOS-NRO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt

I am from the midwest and am planning a business trip in the East. I am looking at taking the Regional from BOS to NRO (I have a mtg in White Plains). I have never ridden Amtrak and was wondering what the difference is between Coach and Business Class. Thanks.

Matt,

I rode Business Class in October of last year from WAS to MET (metropark) R/T. I ride Business class often from the Detroit area to Chicago. First of all the Business class in the N.E. Corridor is different from what i am used to here in the mid-west. I explain both for you. The Business class for you is PROBABLY going to probably be in a AMFLEET car. In the N.E. corridor a whole car is used for Business Class. The interior is updated, the seats have quite a bit more leg room then std. coach, you have a electrical outlet at each seat (under the window). Non-alcohol drinks are included and I can't remember if any food is included or not. The one thing I do like about Business Class is the clientele of people that travel Business Class, usulally more profesional people with out children, and if there is children they are usually well behaved. The fare for Business Class in the N.E. corridor is usually $30 extra and well worth it in my opinion. If you can afford $30 extra each way, spend it ! It's well worth it in my opinion.

Here in the Mid-west we have what we call "Mid-West Business Class Service" which is almost the same as described above with some exceptions. 1) Instead of using a whole car for B/C they use 1/3 of a food service car (cafe - dinette) in either Horizon or Amfleet. The interior is not upgraded much, but the seat spacing is more then coach. There is only 20 seats in this section. 2) I can ride from Detroit area to Chicago for $9 extra each way, then they hand you a $4.50 coupon toward any purchase in the Cafe. 3) They board B/C first departing Chicago. 4) The bathroom is about 30' at the max. from your seat. Again it's much more enjoyable to ride in Business class then Coach. Spend the extra $$ if you can.

Matt,

No meals are included in the price of a business class ticket, only non-alcoholic drinks. One other nice perk with business class is that you are always guaranteed a seat. If you pick coach on an unreserved train, you could find yourself without a seat. Some trains on the NEC are reserved and some are not.

There has also been a bit of a trend to start using former Metroliner Club Class cars for business class. Not all trains get such a car, but if you are lucky enough to get one, then you will find yourself with nice plush seating. The seats are also 2 & 1, not the typical 2 & 2 seating. This allows for seats that are wider than normal.

Does anyone know if the overnight Federal #66/67 has an entire car dedicated to Business Class? I am taking it next week WAS-BOS and wondered if the upgrade would be worth it, but don't want to pay $30 to sit next to the cafe and its noise and bright lights! Also-are there storage lockers in Union Station in DC? Thanks!

coachseats said:
Does anyone know if the overnight Federal #66/67 has an entire car dedicated to Business Class? I am taking it next week WAS-BOS and wondered if the upgrade would be worth it, but don't want to pay $30 to sit next to the cafe and its noise and bright lights! Also-are there storage lockers in Union Station in DC? Thanks!
Unless they've changed things since last April, the Federal uses one of the former Metroliner Club Class cars for business class. This means that you will get the nicer, wider seats since you will have 2 & 1 seating. These seats come with foot rests, calf rests, and they recline a bit further than the normal seats.

The car does have a food service area inside, but that service area serves only the business class car and the sleeper. There is a seperate cafe for the coach section of the train. Additionally there is a curtain that seperates the seating area from the counter area.

As for lockers, at one time there were some lockers off of the seating area if I recall correctly. However I'm not sure if they are still there or available if they are still there. There have been major security concerns with lockers in the bigger terminals. You can however check your bags for the day at the regular baggage counter. Expect them to charge you a few bucks for the priviledge.

You should also note however, that if you go business class then you may have another option for your luggage. On the Federal only, a business class ticket entitles you to use the Club Acela lounge. They have a storage area within the lounge. It is unlocked, but I've never heard of any bags disappearing from the lounge.

The lounge of course provides you with a nice quiet waiting area, along with free refreshments, TV's, and internet access so that you can tell us how your trip is going so far. :lol:

Additionally a few other perks come with a business class ticket on the Federal, you get a pillow and a blanket. You can board the train as early as 9:00 PM, plus of course you get the usual complimentary non-alcoholic drinks from the lounge car

Alan-

Thanks much for the info! I think I will definitely upgrade to business class based on the perks you mentioned (especially access to the 1st class lounge). I wonder if this applies both in DC before I leave and in BOS once I arrive in the morning. I will be traveling on #30 TOL-WAS, then the federal to BOS that night and home on #448 after a day and a half in Boston. I will post a trip report for all to read!

Well I can't promise you anything, but in theory you might be able to get into the Boston lounge.

A pax traveling in a sleeper/First Class is entitled to use the lounge on both ends of the trip. So it is possible that you would be permitted into the lounge also, since the BC ticket gets you into the WAS lounge.

Again no promises, but it's probably worth trying.

You can check out Amtrak's initial press release for the Federal service here. It describes some of the BC ammenities that I mentioned. Might even be a good idea to print it out and bring it with you just in case. :)

Just beware! Except for Business Class on the Federal, a Business Class ticket WILL NOT give you access to any of the 1st class lounges, and they will not let you in. These lounges are normally for people who hold one of the following 1) Metroliner First Class 2) Acella First Class or 3) a Sleeper. The only exception to this for an example is if your arriving into say WAS on a sleeper ticket then transfering to another train. You may use your ticket stub from the ariving train to go into the lounge when you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back