62039 set out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
According to Amtrak sources the 62039 was set out by P097-26 near Kissimmee on Sunday afternoon. According to the train's AC the car had a loose strap that holds the axles to the car. After the crew spoke with several guys from mechanical, the decision was made to set the car out north of Kissimmee. The train resumed its trip, fortunately many of the car's passengers were dropped off at Orlando, all customers were reaccomodated in another car. The car was supposed to be fixed by SFA mechanical Monday, and then picked up by 97. No word on whether the car was picked up by 97 or not.

Did they fix it on site, or was it towed to Sanford for them to work on it?

I thought Sanford specialized in Superliner equipment -- I'd more expect the shops at Hialeah to do this.

Well Sanford mechanical has some of the best techs this side of Indiana. Sanford takes pride in the work they do (unlike Hialeah). Sanford has boards that list every locomotive and car that they are responsible for, its location, and what reapairs it needs. Examples: traction motor, wheels, 180-day, (and my favorite) seat cushions. Sanford mechanics (and all mechanics) need to have the knowledge for just about every type of car Amtrak runs (except maybe Acela Express and Electrics), from Heritage, to Amfleets, to Superliners, to Horizon, to Superliner, to Viewliner they need to know it all. While they may specialize in an area they all have basic knowledge of each type of car. And yes it was repaired on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back