A Day in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Obviously, I have sort of made up my mind on where my next "days off" trip will take me too. There's a really good sale on going up to CHI on #58 and back on #59. I will be buying my ticket within the next day or so, and it looks like I have convinced my friend Drew to tag along (this would be his first-ever long-haul train ride).

I've been to Chicago twice but only for Cubs games. I never really spent anytime in the downtown area. Of course, the Sears Tower is a must, depending on the weather. It's just a one day trip, as we arrive at 9:00am and leave at 8:00pm. Is there a good city tour worth catching or something? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy railroading

PS- I haven't yet given up on my goal to work for Amtrak. I just applied for four more Assistant Conductor positions throughout the country. Hopefully I can get another interview. I'll keep you guys posted.

The Museum of Science and Industry is really cool. You can catch a CTA bus down right from Union Station and takes you right across the street from the museum. I want to say the route is number 28 or 128?? Or you can catch the El train down there, buts its a bit more of a walk. Union Station is right in the financial district so there isn't alot to do around the station. Sears Tower is just two blocks away though. I'm not sure exactly where the entertainment district is, but its not a far ride on the El trains.

Chris

I'd recommend Sears Tower or the 96th Bar and Lounge at the Hancock Center. They have an excellent Lunch Buffet in the resturant, and you can see all of Chicago. Granted you won't see the Amtrak Yards, but I've been told the Sears Tower isn't much better than the Hancock. Also if you sit on the South Side of the Tower you can see some rail action from there. To get to the Hancock via Subway walk from Union Station south 4 blocks or so to the Blue Line. Board the Blue Line Uptown then transfer to the Red Line at the first stop you can. Take the Red Line to Chicago Ave, then walk about 4 blocks east to Michigan Ave., and then about 2 blocks north to the tower (it's hard to miss). From there I'd grab a Michigan Ave. bus southbound. Once you get over the Chicago River walk down to where the Architectural Boat Tours are, the tour is about an hour long and is excellent (the turn around spot on the South End is right at Union Station). From there head to the Museum of Science and Discovery, not sure on the best way to get there. Finally, for an outstanding dinner in Chicago head to the Italian Village near the Daley Center which has three resturants in one, one for each budget. From there head back to Union Station for your trip home. Just my two cents, but you will cover all the major hot spots with this itinerary.

I ALSO AGREE, TRY THE SIGNATURE LOUNGE ON THE 96TH FLOOR OF THE JOHN HANCOCK BUILDING. IT'S A REVOLVING LOUNGE..GET GREAT VIEWS OF THE CITY. YOUR ARRIVAL AND DEPATURE TIMES MAKE IT VERY CONVIENT TO DO SO. :)

YOUNG FAITHFUL said:
I ALSO AGREE, TRY THE SIGNATURE LOUNGE ON THE 96TH FLOOR OF THE JOHN HANCOCK BUILDING. IT'S A REVOLVING LOUNGE..GET GREAT VIEWS OF THE CITY. YOUR ARRIVAL AND DEPATURE TIMES MAKE IT VERY CONVIENT TO DO SO. :)
AH YES, the lunch buffet at the Signiture Room in the Hancock building CAN NOT be missed. Last year it was $14.95 for the buffet that I beleave is served from 11am-2pm and is by far the best buffet I have ever encountered. But beware that this buffet is served on M-SAT. only. Sunday it turnes into a $50 per person brunch.

The cool thing about the Signiture room is this. If your going to pay to go to the observation deck at either the Sears tower or Hancock your wasting your money to do that by itself. I beleave it cost $10.00 for a ticket in the Hancock, not sure about the Sears. For $5 more you get an excellent meal. Granted the Hamcock observatory deck has an outside walkway to walk through and maps and stuff to help you locate where Wisconsin or if you want to know where O'hare Airport is, that the restaurant doesn't have. Also the restaurant is about 4 or 5 floors below the observatory. But at that height you would never know the difference of 4 or 5 floors lower.

Actually, the lounge (95) is a floor above the observatory (94), and the resturant is two above it (96). I made it to the resturant for Dinner, wasn't able to make lunch because of my schedule, but I'm sure it's equally good as the Dinner. If you happened to be a Mashed Potato lover (as I am), and you are there for dinner, make sure you order them, best I've ever had (and I've had some pretty good ones in my time :lol: ).

battalion51 said:
Actually, the lounge (95) is a floor above the observatory (94), and the resturant is two above it (96).
You are correct Battalion, thanks for the correction. It was stuck in my mind for some reason that the restaurant was below. Anyway here is the link to the restaurant's website. Also I included my favorite restaurant's website, the Chicago Chop House. If you want an Excellent steak for dinner check out the chop house menu. It might seem a little expensive, but I feel it's a good value for the supperior quality steaks and quanity of food you receive. The lunch Buffet at the Signiture Room is by far the best value of any restaurant I have been too. Dinner on the other hand is somewhat expensive for what you get.

http://www.signatureroom.com

http://www.chicagochophouse.com

In Chicago I usually enjoy the Shedd Aquariam, the Natural History Museum and the Art Musuem, all close to Lake Michigan, which is quite pretty, good for the camera. Not a bad walk from Union Station, in my opinion, but that depends on how well you enjoy walking.

In chicago, if you like railfanning, I would definetly go to the top of the sears tower, you get a good view of the Amtrak and Metra yards or walk south a ways until you find a bridge over the Amtrak yard. i took a few pictures there a few years back.

JP

amtrakmichigan said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
Not a bad walk from Union Station, in my opinion, but that depends on how well you enjoy walking.
Holy cow Bill, that's quite a hike ! :)

Well, walking is one of the things I do well! I am not a sports fan (or participant) but at least I can walk, walk, walk, and drink water, water,water.

Back