A different kind of scanner question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris&Essex

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

Last year I posted looking to learn the basics of scanners, and I’m happy with my selection. :) I’ve always used it by myself, simply via regular stereo headphones. I do have a splitter so more than one person can listen in, but with stereo headphones the sound only comes out of one speaker per headset. If I were to buy two separate, high-end mono headsets with noise canceling and used them with a splitter, would the mono sounds come out both speakers of each headset or, irritatingly, just one earpiece each. Also, I’ve seen dual headsets online, but they all come with walkie-talkie features and run between $250 to $400 -- 2-3x the price of my scanner! Obviously, I’d like to hook up two headsets to one scanner much cheaper, so my $5 splitter plus two separate headphones would seem like the better option, but (as you may have figured, this isn’t a train-related application) I plan to be in noisy surroundings. I figured since scanners are a big part of railfanning, I’d throw this question out there…

PS. I used to belong to the ill-fated Amtrak/Rusty Wallace preferred customer program, so perhaps I can get a pardon for this non-railfanning post?! ;)

I'll be honest with you, I've never tried using a pair of mono-headphones with my scanner. However, if you have a pair and the sound comes out of both earpieces, then the splitter will make no difference. A splitter splits whatever signal it gets equally.

So if one set of mono-headphones work as you hope, then two sets with a splitter will have both speakers working.

Personally, I like the idea that only one earpiece works with a stereo headset. I have a pair of earbuds, so I only keep one in my ear and therefore can hear and talk with other people around me much easier.

ELNewBranch said:
I do have a splitter so more than one person can listen in, but with stereo headphones the sound only comes out of one speaker per headset.
This sounds like an issue with the scanner. It probably has a mono headphone jack, which would cause the issue you're describing, often only coming out of the left speaker.

If I were to buy two separate, high-end mono headsets with noise canceling and used them with a splitter, would the mono sounds come out both speakers of each headset or, irritatingly, just one earpiece each.
There are two ways to fix this. Either you can get an adapter that goes from mono to stereo (Radio Shack has these for approx. $5 give or take a dollar) which will allow the sound to come out of both speakers, or you can do like you're thinking about and get mono headsets. Unfortunately, I don't know if mono headsets with two speakers are available, unless you're thinking about something like aviator headsets without microphones. Personally, I like Alan's idea of using earbuds and leaving out the one that doesn't work, but in noisy evironments, you might want the adapter and use a standard set of stereo headphones. For more than one person, plug the adapter into the scanner and then plug the splitter into the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back