additional michigan service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
BNSF, this idea may intrest you....

I have always thought the perfect Amtrak service in Michigan would consist of the following:

- Take Amtrak train "The Pere Marquette" from Chicago to Grand Rapids and run it further into Michigan. CSX is the host road for this service & continueing this train to Detroit should not be that hard to do. If it was up to me I would continue to East Lansing,Mi. East Lansing already has an Amtrak station on the CN serving the International. However the diamond for the CSX crossing is within about 200 feet of the station building. This station could easily serve both rail lines. Next stop would be either Howell or Brighton, Mi since both of these cities are or have exploded in population over the years. A station platform would probably have to be built for either one of these cities. Next stop would be Plymouth, a western suburb of Detroit which already has a depot that is in pretty good condition. And finally Detroit which as we know Amtrak serves already.

This train would directly connect The 3 biggest cities in Michigan together. Especially considering the fact that Detroit and Grand rapids are the two biggest and have no direct rail service to the state capitol (Lansing). On top of that this would make great rail service for students attending Michigan State University in East Lansing with the biggest cities in Michigan which the majority of them probably live. Currently it would almost be foolish for a person to take a train from Detroit to lansing because you would have to travel to Battle Creek and switch to the International. When you can drive it in 1.5 hours.

I may write some letters to the state DOT, city mayors, and Amtrak to see how feseable this idea may be.

The Idea is there MDOT wants to run a Lansing to Det train but it is road blocked at this time because of the Freight RRs can't handle any more Traffic MDOT does not want Amtrak to run it you have a good point but it just won't work thats why it hasn't gotten any farther and it is only in a study at this point and they spend more money for the study in a year then they will give Amtrak that hit the fan last year when i brought it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back