Advice Please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am visiting the US for Christmas and am wondering about going from Chicago to Toledo Ohio by train. Does anyone have any info about the train trip, e.g. is it a comfortable ride and is there a dining car? I know it takes around 5 hours, and is late arriving in Toledo. Do the trains generally run on time or are they like here in the UK - not very often?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. :ph34r:

From Chicago to Toledo you can pick from two trains- the Capitol Limited and the Lake Shore Limited. The Capitol Limited leaves CHI at 5:35pm and arrives into Toledo at 10:45. The Lake Shore Limited leaves CHI at 7:00pm and arrives TOL at 11:48. Yes, they commonly are a bit late, but usually not by more than an hour or two over that distance and sometimes manage to be right on time. Both trains have a full dining car and lounge car as well as coaches and sleepers. The biggest difference is that the Capitol Limited is a Superliner (double decker) train and the LSL is a single level train. Both should provide you with a comfortable trip. If you are travelling around the holidays, I'd go ahead and book your tickets soon since the trains usually fill up then. Have a good trip!

dont forget that Chicago and Toledo are in 2 different time zones. Chicago is in the Central time zone, and Toledo is in the Eastern time zone. The trip will actually be an hour less then what the timetable shows (going east) an hour longer going west. I would personelly take train #30 "The Capitol Limited" because of it's slightly earlier arrival time, and also being a Superliner equiped train (the double deckers) they ride quieter and have a better view then a single level car. Then again, the time of year that you will be doing this. the view wont matter much, since it will already be dark when you leave chicago.

I too would pick the Capitol over the LSL in this situation, but you will also get in earlier. The Capitol is a fairly compact train compared to the LSL, the Capitol will usually be about 8 (passenger) cars long, while the LSL is usually closer to 12 or 13 (passenger) cars long (both carry mail and express on the back end). As a result you will be boarded faster on the Capitol than you would be on the LSL. If you have the desire, definitely check out the Diner on either train, as they have some of the best food I've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back