Air Travel Expert Tells Americans: "Take the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
US air travel's current strong recovery from the prolonged post-9/11 doldrums - a rebound already bringing with it more flight delays, congestion and security hassles -- should prompt an urgent reassessment of America's neglect of its rail system, travel expert David Rowell told a Texas travel industry group this week.
"Air travel has become a form of cruel and unusual punishment," Rowell, Seattle-based publisher of The Travel Insider, a widely-read weekly for sophisticated travelers, told a meeting of the Austin Business Travel Association. But he added that it is about to get very much worse as passengers return to the air. America badly needs to review its travel priorities and invest heavily in rail, he said.
The full story from

E Media Wire.

Very positive article. :)

Amen to that brothers!! I was on a flight last night from Phoenix, Az to Ontario, Ca. (1 hour flight) With the students out for spring break, and the pro baseball clubs in Az. for spring training, you couldn't move in the airport. Add the long lines for security, and you just about have it. Give me those rails.

Wb

I used to enjoy flying. Now I'll drive up to 12 hours to avoid. In order to get to Seattle to catch the Empire Builder I will have to fly from Dallas to Denver and change planes. Doesn't that sound like fun.

panamaclipper said:
I used to enjoy flying. Now I'll drive up to 12 hours to avoid. In order to get to Seattle to catch the Empire Builder I will have to fly from Dallas to Denver and change planes. Doesn't that sound like fun.
Actually, it does!

You see, being a train fan does not by default require you to dislike planes. I enjoy both modes and have had great train rides and great flights. I'm sure you'll had a nice ride on the Empire Builder, but who knows, you may have a good pair of flights as well.

I hope you have a great trip from start to finish!

PRR 60, thanks for the good wishes. Actually, the part of being on the plane is fine. It's just all the baloney you have to put up with before and after you get onboard that drives me crazy. That's one of the reasons I decided to just catch the Texas Eagle in Chi rather than fly back on that leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back