Albany photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
alb1.jpg

I thought I would share this photo with everyone. This was taken at the new Albany-Renselaer station on March 1st. As you can see, the area still had plenty of snow. In the above photo, you can see two trains in the foreground sitting in the station. On the right is the mothballed RTL-II Turboliner, before the RTL-III's went into service. By the looks of the snow on and around it, it has not been used for a long time. And in the top left you can see the Boston section of the westbound Lake Shore Limited arriving in Albany; the New York section has not yet arrived.

alb2.jpg

Now here's a shot looking to the north. By now the New York Lake Shore Limited section has arrived. It's the one where you see people milling about on the platform. The Boston Lake Shore Limited is on the right closest to the station building. Soon (but not soon enough with the lackadasical station crews) the two will be joined for their trip to Chicago.

And if you ever wondered where Amtrak put some of the F-40's they retired, the answer is to the left side of the picture. They are on the same track as the RTL-II Turbo.

This was shot not from the station but from the Herring Street bridge, which was totally replaced when the new station was built.

Very interesting pictures, SD. Thanks! So, what eventually happens with these retired F-40s? It seems to me they ought to be able to be put to good work somewhere.

seajay

Gee those photos look very familiar. ;)

I guess that's because we were both there at the same time, seeing as how we traveled there together, and shooting the same thing. :lol: :D :) :D :lol:

Excellent Pictures! I love going to the Rensslear Amtrak station, theres always some action going on there especially when the Lake Shore Limiteds come into the station!

AlanB said:
Gee those photos look very familiar. ;)
I guess that's because we were both there at the same time, seeing as how we traveled there together, and shooting the same thing. :lol: :D :) :D :lol:
The difference is, I took another month and a half to finish my roll of film and get them developed, so looking back it was a nice memory. Very interesting place -- I am glad we found the time (and weather cooperating) to go.

Thanks for the pics, SD! Very cool. The only time I have ever been there was on my one LSL trip last summer. I spent a bit of time there, since my layover was there, rather than Boston.

Amfleet said:
Nice photos! Looks like the BOS section has to wait for another train to clear the platform before pulling in!
In fact the Boston LSL is waiting for the train we had just arrived on to clear the station. Since they haven't yet built the fourth track in Albany it makes things a bit interesting at times. Hopefully they'll get that fourth track in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back