Alternative approach for Gulf Coast Service restoration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If view the 1906 Gray's rail atlas... it has the former Railway line between Bay Minette and Pensacola.
Looking on Google Earth, the almost Straight trackbed is still clearly visible.
It offers two options;
1. Build HSR double track in the median of I-10 from Nola to Jacksonville.
This would have HSR Stations at essentially every exit/junction along i-10.
The junction station at exit 44 for Loxley would be the interchange station for trains from Bay Minette (or further north) to from Gulf Shores.
2. A more inland, less hurricane damage... build the new double track from Mobile to Bay Minette (interchange Station for trains to from Gulf Shores) and using the disused trackbed from Bay Minette to Pcola.
Pcola to Tallyhassee and Jacksonville is virtually a straight line or would be when the new double track Railway goes from Pcola to Jacksonville.
Each station would have light rail, metro train services through each county on a North South to Gulf Coast axis.
Not every HST would stop at Every station. They would call at the cities and the towns stations at exits/junctions.. doing the milk run, would call at some to all depending on the ridership stats.
Daphnia, Loxley, Destin.. would get a higher level of services.
Being near each interstate exit, the through trains carry on in the medians and the stopping services would leave the trunk route to stop at stations to the north or south of i-10. The off to side at say daphne, there is an old strip mall. It could have a HSR station... for interchange with a to be built metro light rail going south to fairhope, foley, and Gulf shores, a park and ride car parking structure for the Nola or Orlando or Atlanta bound passengers.
The stations at each junction would bring very high levels of economic development... shops to housing.
In Europe and Asia etc, these sort of stations have condominium blocks of flats, apartments that pop up like mushrooms.
A person could Reside in Daphne or Loxley etc... or a few stops along on connecting metro train services and be able to be in Houston, Atlanta Orlando in about Two to three hours.
This is the typical amount of time yanks are accustomed to Driving Time to from work...
The taking the train at 400kph (250+ mph)... would be Transformational when every interstate motorway freeway highway has HSR tracks either along centre or offset to one side.
HSR is most effective (no level crossings etc) when the trackbed is elevated 15 metres with a one square metre base every 50 metres.
Up, out of way, with highly standardised pillars piled into ground and the steel reinforced concrete I beams placed on top connecting together... legs easy.
China has constructed more HSR in the past 13 years than the entire rest of world.
Standardise the pillars, I beams, slab track, etc... Using the interstate network as an add on addition... the Federal government could replicate every interstate in under ten years.

Back