Amtrak B40 #507 on the LSL today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be the first to admit that I failed locomotive identification 101, but I've never heard of a B40. :unsure: What is that?

The number that you've reported would indicate that the loco that you saw was a P32-8, often called a Pepsi Can thanks to it's original paint scheme.

AlanB said:
I'll be the first to admit that I failed locomotive identification 101, but I've never heard of a B40.   :unsure:  What is that?
The number that you've reported would indicate that the loco that you saw was a P32-8, often called a Pepsi Can thanks to it's original paint scheme.
that would be the freight term of the p 32-8 for amtrak

since the Santa Fe has the b 40-8 and Amtrak bought the rest of the engines that SF did not buy

sorry bout that, im really not used to the P32-bwh locomotives, this is the first time i've ever seen one in person, and the first time i've ever seen one in that paint scheme. Nothin beats the pepsi can though. They looked good in IV too, anyone got any idea why its going to NY?

I just got information from a fellow railfan, that 807 was being reassigned to Albany, for switching dutys.

Corey

807 or 507? The P-40's would be the worst switchers ever due to their crappy ladders. It should be noted the main difference between the B40-8 and the P32-8BWH is the smaller 12 cylinder prime mover due to the HEP equipment.

battalion51 said:
807 or 507? The P-40's would be the worst switchers ever due to their crappy ladders.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some sort of FRA regulation which states the P40/42 (Genesis) design cannot be regularly assigned as a switcher?

Correct switchers need 4 corner stairways as per drawing in FRA rules.

Carbody locomotives like F-40-FL-9-Genesis-PL42ac etc are not acceptable as switchers.

see;

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/09...49cfr231.30.pdf

The forementined engines can switch out cars of their own train at passenger stations etc, but not used as coachyard or shop switcher.

Some of the local roads do have provisions in their rule books that say if the engine must be used for switching purposes you must be off the ladder, and within the body of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back