Amtrak Banking on Stronger Acela Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ridden many miles on Amtrak, mostly on Superliners, but also a couple thousand miles on Viewliners / Single level. When I rode Acela Express, it was the cleanest and most well-maintained (interior) I've been on, very similar to the Pacific Surfliners. I liked it a lot, and thought that if all Amtrak trains were like this, ridership would explode. On that same ride, a power car went dead and we never exeeded 100 mph. :angry:

It is for this reason that I support the extra effort put into Acela Express, and am glad that they are working on the maintenance issues. However, this does not mean that Amtrak can leave out long-distance trains. They must be imporoved as well in order for the entire Amtrak system to see a boost in ridership and succeed.

Well Id have to agree that the Acela Express is a great train. I have ridden it twice, with one good experience, and one very bad experience.

The good one was traveling from Metropark to BWI. All went smooth, well, and on time. However the return trip was very different. About 30 minutes outside of Phili, I began smelling smoke, and soon there after, it began to appear outside. I made the assumption it was coming from the lead unit, and if so, something we going to be done shortly.

Within 2 minutes, the emergency brakes were applied as the smoke began bellowing out of the unit. After a 30 minute stop, in the middle of the NEC, it was determined the brakes were malfunctioning. After 15 minutes, I heard over the scanner that they were going to pull a metroliner trainset up along side, and using a wheelchair lift in the relaxed position, the passengers from our train would "walk the plank" onto the other train.

It was a very cool experience, I must admit. About half-way through the loading process onto the other train, a southbound Acela Express passed on the left side, causing our train to sway quite a bit back a fourth. Some of the passengers became uneasy, but me, and another train fan, assured them it was normal.

Finally, we left the disabled Express on the NEC about an hour and a half later.

Amfleet said:
While I think it's great that the Acela's are being fixed, I'd rather take an Amfleet I with a couple of flats goin 125mph on the NEC.
Not me. Sorry, but give me an Acela any day of the week please and twice on weekends. :)

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
While I think it's great that the Acela's are being fixed, I'd rather take an Amfleet I with a couple of flats goin 125mph on the NEC.
Not me. Sorry, but give me an Acela any day of the week please and twice on weekends. :)
And it's cheaper on weekends, so lets go three times! :D

PRR 60 said:
AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
And it's cheaper on weekends, so lets go three times! :D
That's the spirt. :D :lol: :p :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back