Amtrak Booking Oddity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRrich

Conductor
Many folks have commented on the odd result of selecting a routing from KCY (Kansas City) to CBS (Columbus, WI) - You get routed from KCY to LAX (Las Angeles) to PDX (Portland OR) to CBS.

Very Strange - HOWEVER if you are paying and want a cheap/reasonable fare from KCY to CBS you can use the Multi-City option - go from KCY to CHI on the Southwest Chief and then from CHI to CBS on the Empire Builder.

Must be some weird loophole in the programming ;)

Umm, no, you can't do that, unless you want to stay overnight in Chicago.

#4 arrives into Chicago at 3:20pm, but #7 already departed Chicago at 2:15pm. There is no connection. That's why Amtrak routes folks to LA-PDX-CBS.

IHC is precisely correct. KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS (and KWD-KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS for that matter) shows up because, frankly, there's no other alternative, short of showing no service at all. And some folks who may want to tour/cruise, for example, appreciate it showing up so the guaranteed connections are certain.

Rafi

Of course there are us "sensible" folks who think 5 days to get from Kansas City to Chicago is just right, especially when it involves train miles all the way :D

I suppose the_traveler and some others hoping to build up (or use) their AGR points would like this routing around "Robin Hood's barn," but it seems that offering services that permit more direct, same-day connections between points on the various lines coming into and going out of places west of Chicago would be in order.

Using the multi-city option is indeed way cheaper. I used March 16 as a test date, hoping that all fares would be at lowest bucket. Multi-city through CHI shows a total coach fare of $64. The longer route costs $335. The $271 difference is enough to float a pretty good hotel room in Chicago, allowing you to get to CBS two days earlier.

The problem is, you have to figure it out for yourself. When you use the multi-city option, it just says you can't do that because the second train departs before the first train arrives. No further options given. Why can't they do it like the airlines do? Show the next-day connection with a big, red warning...."Overnight stay required. This train departs Chicago March 17." Maybe it's because they'd rather collect the $335? If so, pretty short-sighted IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I am concerned, I'd rather spend 5 days on the getting from KCY to CBS than spending a night in CHI. Matter of fact thats the only reason I'm going to CBS in early February.

I suppose the_traveler and some others hoping to build up (or use) their AGR points would like this routing around "Robin Hood's barn," but it seems that offering services that permit more direct, same-day connections between points on the various lines coming into and going out of places west of Chicago would be in order.
Include me in this crowd, I rode it in Nov. after taking the River Runner from STL-KCY (a nice trip in biz class!), the reason: 5 nights on the train in a sleeper with meals on the SWC/CS/EB, 15,000 points,1 zone award! I also plan to use the OMA-SAC-PDX-CBSloophole for 15,000 points/1 zone award soon as it warms up some! :lol: Again 5 nights on the train in a sleeper on the CZ/CS/EB! Whats not to like about this? Anybody can spend a night in CHI anytime,and who wants to go to CBS except to ride through on a LD train? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the multi-city option is indeed way cheaper. I used March 16 as a test date, hoping that all fares would be at lowest bucket. Multi-city through CHI shows a total coach fare of $64. The longer route costs $335. The $271 difference is enough to float a pretty good hotel room in Chicago, allowing you to get to CBS two days earlier.
The problem is, you have to figure it out for yourself. When you use the multi-city option, it just says you can't do that because the second train departs before the first train arrives. No further options given. Why can't they do it like the airlines do? Show the next-day connection with a big, red warning...."Overnight stay required. This train departs Chicago March 17." Maybe it's because they'd rather collect the $335? If so, pretty short-sighted IMHO.
You stated the shorter route would get one into CBS 'two days earlier.' Wouldn't it be 'four' since the long way leaving 1.27 arrives on 2.1.

I did a January 27 test of this and came up with $305 the long way $69 the short way.

$305 plus $125 for the cost of 11 meals assuming $10 B and L - $15 D), and five nights in COACH with no bed. Total $430.

$69 using multi-city, plus $35 for meals B-L-D is $105. Admittedly a hassle: add about $25 for the r/t CUS-hotel-CUS by taxi; $100 for a somewhat decent room; about $30 for meals. Total $260.

Result for shorter trip: Arrive in CBS on 1.28, vs. 2.1 - bed to sleep in for one night vs. no bed for five nights - Save about $175.

Note: But only earn 100 rail miles vs. 610.

If time and cost important: Fly SWA ($116) KCY-CHI; Amtrak CHI-CBS ($19) and arrive the SAME day. Total $135 + cost airport - CUS and meal(s).

Of course if traveling on AGR points the longer version takes it with bed and meals included.

I agree with your idea Amtrak adopt the airline warning about overnight stays. To say no routing is available is semi-deceptive.

Short-sighted yes. I wonder how many would avoid Amtrak because of the time and cost or didn't know better.

Back