AMTRAK BUDGET AND CALL TO ACTION ON REFORM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
REMARKS FOR THE HONORABLE NORMAN Y. MINETA

SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

AMTRAK BUDGET AND CALL TO ACTION ON REFORM

NEWS CONFERENCE

CHICAGO, IL

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2005, 10:30 AM

A week ago today, the President and I unveiled a budget for the next fiscal year that eliminates subsidies for Amtrak. We did so as a wake-up call for the need for reform.

Some people have portrayed this as an attempt to kill Amtrak.

I've got news for you. If I wanted to kill Amtrak, I wouldn't have to lift a finger. The system as it stands now is dying and everyone knows it.

But passenger rail is too important, in too many parts of the country - including here in Chicago - to just stand by and watch a major mode of transportation strangle under a funding system that is fundamentally rrational.

Across the country, states and local governments are planning impressive passenger rail investments. There are projects that are ambitious, exciting

and show a real commitment, and a real need, for passenger rail in those areas.

And what will the federal government do to help those projects under the current system? Not really much of anything.

This is because our passenger rail money goes to Amtrak.

And Amtrak cannot spend money on new, innovative services that people want, because it is spending so much money running trains that nobody rides between cities that nobody wants to travel between.

On some Amtrak routes, the company could actually save money by not running the train and buying the riders an airplane ticket instead.

And, even worse, Amtrak has over the years shifted money away from repairs, maintenance, and upgrades for tunnels, bridges and track - and instead used it to cover operating losses.

A few minutes ago, I used the term fundamentally irrational. There is another word to describe the current system: It's nuts.

We cannot afford to continue to waste money this way when there are critical investments that have to be made in passenger rail.

Some critics of passenger rail like to point out that fewer than one percent

of travelers in America take the train.

But that ignores the fact that there are places in the country where passenger rail does more than just make sense - it is absolutely critical.

For example, today, Amtrak trains will carry just as many passengers between New York and Washington, D.C., as all of the airlines combined.

In the Northeast, on the West Coast, and here in the Midwest, train ridership is growing - people want and need passenger rail.

The current system, though, cannot even support the existing service, much less expand in the way that it needs to.

We cannot continue to pour taxpayer dollars into a system that cannot deliver, especially when there is an alternative.

Very soon, the Bush Administration will re-introduce a comprehensive reform package that aims to put passenger rail back on track by recognizing the reality of rail travel today.

In drafting our Passenger Rail Investment Reform Act, we looked at where

passenger rail was working. It is not hard to find examples, and they all have one thing in common.

All the places in the country where passenger rail is thriving, and where

growth is likely to occur, are places where states and local governments are actively involved in the planning process and in the investment decisions.

The Pacific Northwest is one of the best examples that I know of. And, in

fact, it would be fair to say that the Cascades service between Portland,

Oregon, and Vancouver, British Columbia, serves as the model for national reform.

Over a period of 10 years, the State of Washington made investments to upgrade stations, to upgrade tracks, and to purchase new and higher-speed trains.

The State of Washington subsidizes the operating costs of the service, and

Amtrak runs the trains under contract.

Ridership is up over 330 percent.

Our plan would make only two changes to what happened in Washington State.

First, it says that Washington State should not have had to bear the

infrastructure costs of that project alone. Our proposal would establish a

50-50 federal match for state investments in passenger rail infrastructure,

like stations and trains and track.

Second, we think Washington State should have had a meaningful choice in

picking someone to run the trains. Fair and open competition for that contract in the future will benefit everyone.

For 30 years, the federal government has had a partnership with Amtrak on passenger rail. That partnership has failed.

Our plan would forge a new federal-state partnership that is the foundation of every other mode of passenger transportation.

In every other area of transportation, it is the mechanism that we use to set priorities, and to make sure that the money follows public demand.

Our proposal does not call for an end to Amtrak. Instead, we would work

hand-in-hand with states and local entities to invest in track, tunnels,

bridges and stations, freeing Amtrak from that responsibility.

Amtrak could then focus on its core mission - running the trains on time.

And when the states are ready to pick an intercity passenger rail operator, we believe that Amtrak will be in a strong position to compete for those contracts.

Others may come forward - other private companies or transit agencies - that want the job, too.

We believe that periodic competition in selecting a service provider -

competition on prices, on costs, and on customer service - will help the

network of passenger rail service grow and thrive.

We believe that the involvement of states and local governments in planning and operations will be critical to making sure that the needs of their constituents are being met. And we think that they will do a better job than Amtrak.

For example, here in Chicago, our proposal also includes a plan for Union Station.

Right now, METRA operates 83 percent of the daily trains that run through this facility. That amounts to 276 METRA trains, compared to 52 Amtrak trains.

Annually, METRA ridership in and out of Chicago Union Station is over 31

million, while Amtrak annual ridership is 2.3 million.

But Amtrak owns the building and controls the schedules.

That's the tail wagging the dog, and it complicates the impressive rail

planning that is being done here in the Chicago area on projects like CREATE.

That is why we are proposing that ownership of Union Station and the other rail-related infrastructure in the area currently owned by Amtrak be

transferred to a regional transportation authority.

With such a significant stake in operations at Union Station, we think it

makes sense to put control into local hands to ensure the highest level of

service to the millions of Chicago-land residents who rely on this vital

transportation hub.

In closing, I want to make it clear where the President and I stand on

intercity passenger rail.

We support it.

If we did not, we would just stand back and let events run their course -

because to do nothing will lead to disaster.

Everyone agrees that Amtrak is on financial life-support. But the answer to

the problem is not throwing more money into a system that is fundamentally flawed.

The answer is top-to-bottom reform, accomplished by all available means.

The President's budget is that call to action, and his proposed legislation is

the solution. He has proposed no new subsidies for Amtrak because he is

serious about fixing this problem once and for all.

We want to work with the Congress, with the states, and with Amtrak to save the system from its legacy of bad decisions. And, of course, the Amtrak Board clearly has a role to play, and we want to continue to engage them in this process.

True reform is the only real solution -- and nothing less is going to serve

the public interest.

Thanks for the article. If you read between the lines, what is being said is "get the states to pitch in for commuter lines, and long haul, transcontinental routes are (will be) history." We still need alternative means of public transportation across this country other than flying. Please nobody mention Graydog.

Wb

The more I hear from Mineta and Bush the sicker I get. We can win this but write and call..and then write and call again!

I always love his "On some Amtrak routes, the company could actually save money by not running the train and buying the riders an airplane ticket instead." line.

Kinda hints at what he and the adminstration really want... long distance travel in the hands of airlines and automobiles only...

-- Karl

Guest said:
I always love his "On some Amtrak routes, the company could actually save money by not running the train and buying the riders an airplane ticket instead." line.
Kinda hints at what he and the adminstration really want...  long distance travel in the hands of airlines and automobiles only...

-- Karl
Maybe what they really want is not to continue to waste money on the boondoggle that is Amtrak. Why should my tax money go to pay for the more expensive travel option just so somebody can enjoy the "romance of the rails" and watch the passing countryside while enjoying a full course dinner in a dining car?

Guest said:
Why should my tax money go to pay for the more expensive travel option just so somebody can enjoy the "romance of the rails" and watch the passing countryside while enjoying a full course dinner in a dining car?
Maybe because all those train lovers visit cities, stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, rent cars, buy souveneirs, and pay for entertainment that helps build the economy and boost local tax revenue.

Maybe because there is nothing wrong with the government providing something enjoyable for the people, like they do with National Parks, National Memorials, National Wildlife reserves, National endowments for the humanities and the arts, public television, public radio, scenic highways, so and so on.

Maybe because the people that enjoy the "romance of the rails" are physically unable to drive, uncomfortable to fly, live miles and miles from an airport, prefer a more direct shuttle to the cities they are visiting rather than sit in traffic all day.

Or maybe because putting more people on the train means you have more highway to yourself. And with all those people eating a full course meal in the dining car, you get a shorter line to wait in at those icky fast food restaurants all along the Interstate!

lepearso said:
Maybe because the people that enjoy the "romance of the rails" are physically unable to drive, uncomfortable to fly, live miles and miles from an airport, prefer a more direct shuttle to the cities they are visiting rather than sit in traffic all day.  
Or maybe because putting more people on the train means you have more highway to yourself.  And with all those people eating a full course meal in the dining car, you get a shorter line to wait in at those icky fast food restaurants all along the Interstate!
Then pay for it yourself.

"Guest" posted this line... "Then pay for it yourself."...

Is that YOU George????

And where did they get this guy from?

So if noone rides Amtrak, then how the Empire Builder, running through the least populated area in America has the highest ridership?

So if the Amtrak and the Gov't are suppose to work together, then why, haven't they been given the chance to work together?

So all this Amtrak reform you speak of? What is it?

I wish someone could sit down with this guy and show him some real numbers and how they work. I think Mineta is just clueless. If he saw some actual numbers, maybe he could see the light. Keeping the current system up to date is the first step in "Amtrak reform," Not underfunding it.

Why does he compare Metra to Amtrak. Thats like comparing the interstate highway to my little culde-sac I live on. "Only .5% of the population of America drive on my little street," is pretty much what I see him saying. (although with 7 houses on my street, i'm sure it quite less)

He certainly SOUNDS like somebody in this administration. And any of them would do, since the only people W will allow in his administration are "YES Men" and other brownnoses. If you want to hold a contrarian view, or a balanced view, on ANYTHING, don't bother to apply for a position in this administration. And whatever you do, don't try to confuse any of them with the facts. The only "facts" they're interested in are the ones W has declared to BE the facts, reality notwithstanding. And our great-grandkids will still be paying for W's fiscal disasters and windmill-tilting foreign conquests when they would otherwise be ready to retire.

Guest said:
OK buddy...I'll pay for it myself. As for you, the next time you go for a drive, I expect you to pay your fair share of the highway upkeep. The next time you drive over a bridge, I expect you to pay. The next time you fly somewhere, let your plane ticket reflect what it really cost to keep up the airport and to run the traffic control systems. At the end of the day, I'll have far more money in my pocket that you'll have in yours!

lepearso said:
Guest said:
OK buddy...I'll pay for it myself. As for you, the next time you go for a drive, I expect you to pay your fair share of the highway upkeep. The next time you drive over a bridge, I expect you to pay. The next time you fly somewhere, let your plane ticket reflect what it really cost to keep up the airport and to run the traffic control systems. At the end of the day, I'll have far more money in my pocket that you'll have in yours!
That should give him some "Food For Thought"!!! :ph34r:

Guest said:
lepearso said:
Guest said:
That should give him some "Food For Thought"!!! :ph34r:
Yeah, that's telling him! And, if Amtrak is the only mode of transportation you'll ever again use in your life, you might very well have more money in your pocket than he does.

What no one seems to take note of - either Mr. Mineta or the Chicago Tribune is that since David Gunn has taken over, the ridership has increased one million per year - which would indicate that there is a demand for passenger rail service and that Amtrak is not dying...........unless it is by fiscal starvation.

Ridership has increased, there is a zero-based budget system, expenses have decreased, management and agreement headcount have both decreased substantially and there is a strong program of car repair and re-building going within the company. In response to one of the posts on this thread that talked about not wanting to fund passenger rail travel for "railfans", I would doubt the yearly increases of one million the past three years are made up of rail fans. If you have any doubt, just go to an Amtrak station and see who rides the trains............they are people who count on the train for their lesure and family related travel........not many of them are railfans.

I don't know this for a fact, but I have read in several places that although the Sec. of Transportation has a seat on the Amtrak Board of Directors, he has never attended a meeting in the 4.5 years he has been in that position. It might be enlightening for him to attend, although I don't see a real open mind.

I don't think there is anyone in Amtrak who does not agree that there is a need for "reform" of some kind and that there are routes that need to be examined and possibly changed or terminated, but my hope is that this whole furor will develop into a good discussion on the need for a National Rail Policy with a firm source of funding - from both Federal and State sources.

Back