Amtrak Coming to Las Vegas, Nevada?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
At least it looks like the idea might not be as dead as we previously thought. I found the following hidden on the second page of Amtrak's Nevada Fact Sheet at http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/factsheets/NEVADA03.pdf. Thought a few of you might be interested to see it. I'm not holding my breath, though!

:rolleyes:

Future Service
The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada is working with the states of Nevada and California, Amtrak, freight railroads and marketing partners to study the feasibility and cost of five times a day intercity rail corridor service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles with a four-hour trip time.  The study is expected to be completed by Summer 2004.

Five round-trips a day, with a 4 hour trip time!

That seems way off in the future. I hope it comes true one day.

I did thoroughly enjoy my trip to Reno earlier this year, though.

By the way, how is the RETRAC project going?

What is important here for sucess to Vegas is a marketing plan and study. Why would Amtrak consider 4 daily round trips to Vegas on a Tuesday or Wednesday? The Airlines taylor their schedules from weekday to weekend flights. Amtrak needs to do the same. Four round trips Thurday thru Sunday, Maybe only one R.T. the other days of the week. It's about passenger loads (airlines? hmmm) Also, they need to combine "rail-hotel" promotions, again like the airlines do. It's so simple, but marketing research need to take place . Las Vegas is a gold mine for Amtrak if it is scheduled and marketed properly from So. Calif.

Wb

Allen - I read your Reno trip report and it sounds like you had a good time. ReTrac is coming along right on schedule. Amtrak moved into their new "building" (a portable modular trailer) last Tuesday 4/13. I went down there yesterday to pick up some tickets for a trip I'm taking on the Starlate in July and guess what? The new station doesn't have a computer yet! The agent Jim told me they might have one by this Friday if they're lucky. Right now he has to write out tickets by hand. The Retrac folks didn't set up a computer connection line over there yet. They were installing a payphone inside while I was down there. To make things worse they completely forgot about installing a PA system (it's nice to have since most our passengers are tourists and want confirmation three times that the train in the station is theirs). I laughed when I saw the ten two-seater garden benches inside that are expected to serve as the waiting rooms seats for the next few years. The list goes on and on... At least the platform is decent, long enough, and the train will only block one of our street crossings unless it has more than five or six express cars which isn't the case very often. Still curious why they didn't build a high level platform though.

Back to the Vegas subject, I was surprised to find the little clip of info that the project isn't quite dead. At least there is a related study going on. I would be willing to bet if Amtrak could run five round trip trains a day from Union Station to Las Vegas (via Fullerton and a few convenient downtown LV stop locations) they would soon gain a significant market share more than the airlines and buses. This is, of course, assuming they ran the service on time, had pleasant on board crew members, and offered a few amenities like the at seat entertainment on the Cascades. Both regions are large enough to support this type of corridor service on a daily basis and it will eventually happen, it is just a matter of time.

JC,

Thanks for the reply.

Have they started the actual trenching yet. I wonder how much of the Truckee River will wind up in the trench?

Will the the old SP depot be rehab'd, or will it be demo'd and an Amshack erected?

As for the Vegas service, I am not holding my breath either. Until rail service has been restored to Vegas, I refuse to go there. But I do plan future trips to Reno in the interim.

The trenching in Reno hasn't actually started yet since they will have to remove the old double track mainline first (the trench will be dug right where the mainline was). The trench is far enough from the Truckee River that it shouldn't be a problem (1/2 mile or more in most places, still a good 1/4 mile even at its closest point on the west end).

The old Amtrak station will serve as the station after the trenching is done. It won't be moved, but it's interior space will be expanded (almost doubled) by using the adjacent old turfclub site. It is the empty dirt lot you probably noticed right next to the station on your trip. From what I understand an escalator will be installed inside the station from the above ground waiting room to the new below ground boarding platform(s). Passengers will wait above ground until moments before the train's ETA, and then the agent will grant access to the boarding platform. This is for safety reasons - it wouldn't be a good idea to have passengers waiting in the trench when a freight train goes by at the 60mph maximum. Some kind of elevator to raise and lower baggage is supposed to be installed too.

When my wife and I took the old Desert Wind to Vegas a few years ago, we enjoyed the trip. We were saddened to hear of its demise. We refuse to drive Hwy 15 until it's cleaned up, and my wife refuses to fly. I really don't blame her for that.

Let's hope it comes to fruition.

Robert :D

This would be a great market for Amtrak. As long as they kept up service and promomtions they will really have a niche over the airlines. I have yet to count how many flights per day are from LAS to LAX, but with Southwest, America West, United, Northwest, American and probably a couple more, there are quite a few flights proving that it is a huge market. It looks as if Greyhound doesn't have much going though.

That would be great to re-start the train between LAX and Las Vegas! Unfortunately, the owner of RR tracks is...... UP. They're very deceiving.

One time Amtrak paid to add double track in some area and ready to go. According to agreement between Amtrak and UP, if the certain time passed by, you lose the spot, blaming on politic squabble.

A train option between LA and Vegas is inevitable. Since the strip expanded beyond McCarren Airport, the crowds and lines have become maddening. Driving is bumper to bumper the whole way. The only question is what’s taking so long?

Gene Herd said:
A train option between LA and Vegas is inevitable. Since the strip expanded beyond McCarren Airport, the crowds and lines have become maddening. Driving is bumper to bumper the whole way. The only question is what’s taking so long?
:angry: Politics :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back