Amtrak communications, should I be worried that my trip will change?

• Thread starter Mike with a bicycle
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike with a bicycle

I have traveled over a dozen times on Amtrak with my bicycle and have an upcoming round trip from Austin to Chicago starting June 29th.

Today I received five messages from Amtrak in quick succession:
  • At 11:28am a message telling me about track work on the line and alternate bus service from May 14th to June 18th. This ends 10 days before my scheduled departure, so I'm not sure why it was sent to me. The service alert page (https://www.amtrak.com/alert/texas-eagle-service-changes.html) does say "bike service is suspended on alternative transportation"
  • At 12:46pm a re-issued itinerary with 30 minute later arrival time into Chicago
  • At 2:50pm a re-issued itinerary with a 90 minute later arrival on my return to Austin
  • At 2:56pm an email summarizing the updated itinerary
  • At 3:34pm a revised fare with $49.92 on my ticket
As far as things look in the system, everything still looks like everything is still in place for myself and bicycle to travel to Chicago - go bicycle touring for a week and then return. So I'm not sure anything customer service who likely tells me what the system says - can tell me. However, the combination of email about track work, the schedule updates and the rebate in combination have me wonder if Amtrak is about to make a drastic change to my travel plans by dropping the ability to bring my bike.

Should I be worried?

I have traveled over a dozen times on Amtrak with my bicycle and have an upcoming round trip from Austin to Chicago starting June 29th.

Today I received five messages from Amtrak in quick succession:
  • At 11:28am a message telling me about track work on the line and alternate bus service from May 14th to June 18th. This ends 10 days before my scheduled departure, so I'm not sure why it was sent to me. The service alert page (https://www.amtrak.com/alert/texas-eagle-service-changes.html) does say "bike service is suspended on alternative transportation"
  • At 12:46pm a re-issued itinerary with 30 minute later arrival time into Chicago
  • At 2:50pm a re-issued itinerary with a 90 minute later arrival on my return to Austin
  • At 2:56pm an email summarizing the updated itinerary
  • At 3:34pm a revised fare with $49.92 on my ticket
As far as things look in the system, everything still looks like everything is still in place for myself and bicycle to travel to Chicago - go bicycle touring for a week and then return. So I'm not sure anything customer service who likely tells me what the system says - can tell me. However, the combination of email about track work, the schedule updates and the rebate in combination have me wonder if Amtrak is about to make a drastic change to my travel plans by dropping the ability to bring my bike.

Should I be worried?
It's Amtrak, everything is Blowing in the Wind right now, especially with the Eaglete, which is having more problems than Rudi Guiluani right now!

Usually Amtrak Customer Service Reps don't know much about Operations, just what their Computer Shows them.

I suggest you call to Customer Relations @ 800-USA-Rail, ask Julie for " Agent"( it will be a Regulsr Customer Service Agent when connectdd), then ask the Agent to be connected with Customer Relations.

Be prepared for a wait, or you may have to use the Call Back feature if they're very busy( usually during Business Hours,).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back