Amtrak cross-country: good or bad?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jared

Hello all,

I will be heading from Columbus OH to the Oregon coast sometime this winter with my wife. We've never taken trains a great distance before, and I am considering going amtrak. However, I have been looking around on the internet, and accounts of people's experiences on AMTRAK seem to vary from quite satisfied to it-happened-years-ago-and-we're-still-angry. Especially given the cost of going cross-country on amtrak, and the enormous inconvenience of either having to drive or take a Greyhound to Cleveland, I wish I knew what was going on here. So, some questions for all:

1. How much does quality vary between different trains, weekday/weekend trips, different times of year, and/or different parts of the country? What might be some reasons for the extreme differences in opinions on Amtrak quality - is it a matter of chance, or are there certain consistently good/bad times, routes?

2. Can I get a very short walk-through of what an overnight trip West from Chicago might look like? NOTE: I am mainly interested in pros and cons I might not think of, not having taken a train trip before. For example, how are the restrooms? Better(or worse, though I cant imagine how) than a plane? How about the food? Choices/quality/cost? Does this also vary between routes? How is luggage accommodated? What is the chance that my luggage will be lost or damaged? Again - does this vary between routes? Are sleepers worth it? They seem to be tiny...

3. ALmost every account I've read for cross-country trips begins and ends with "we were X hours late coming/going" - and X is usually a really big number, like 4 or 8 hours. Is this something to plan for?

Anything else anyone might wish to add would be really appreciated. Thanks much - Jared

For first-timers, it probably helps to get as much information as you can. As with any travel experience, it all depends of how you make it. My advice is to plan as best as you can but be flexible and be able to accept whatever circumstances come your way.

First, there is thru-way bus service between Columbus and Cleveland. I think it's a good idea to take advantage of this, because the bus will take you right to the train station; there is no going to the bus station, taxi or other transport to the trains station. There are two trains serving Columbus: Capitol Limited (from D.C.) and arrives at 4:27am and arrives in Chicago at 10:58am--such an early arrival time would give you a chance to take a short walking or bus tour between train times; the Lake Shore Limited (from NYC)arrives at 3:31am and arrives Chicago at 9:10am--which would give you more time to see Chicago between trains. The Capitol uses Superliner (doubledecker) equipment, while the Lake Shore uses singlelevel (including viewliner sleepers) cars.

The Empire Builder (uses Superliners) departs Chicago at 2:10pm for Seattle and Portland and is one of my favorite trains and routes. There are a number of questions and answers in this site about the Builder (including many of my own comments), you might seek them out. There are also other Web sites (including amtrak's own) that have information about the train and its route.

It is quite scenic--though in different ways. To keep your sanity while riding the trains: take advantage of the longer servicing stops (at St. Paul, Havre, etc.) to get off the train, stretch your legs, a get some fresh air. Even I, as much of an avid trainlover as I am, find those moments helpful. Take advantage of the lounge and dining cars to get up and move around

different parts of the train. Movies are shown in the lounge car, especially at night, they can help while away the hours. Bring along some good books and/or private tape/CD players for music or other listening pleasures (that's why they were invented, to let people listen to music during long airline flights). If you are bringing the kids, bring things for them to do--coloring books, toys, games, etc.

With a little bit of planning, a train trip can be a wonderful experience--even if things are not always perfect.

Jared- For a fellow Buckeye state resident, I kindly offer the following advice:

1. Most trains east of Chicago tend to be more patronized by people using it as a form of transportation, and west of Chicago they are used by many going on vacation. I have never had terrible service on an Amtrak train, but I have always had great service on the following Amtrak trains including the Three Rivers (which stops in Ohio!) The California Zephyr and the Empire Builder.

2. Services on overnight trains vary depending on route and whether you get coach seats or a sleeper room. As I always suggest to first time riders, check many sources for cheaper tickets, including amtrak.com's "rail sale" section and ebay by typing in "Amtrak Tickets" Restrooms are better than on planes, but can begin to get a little stinky by the end of a 3 or 4 day trip. I suggest eating in the dining car, as it is almost always good quality food at reasonable prices, but you can also get lighter fare in the cafe car. You can check luggage at larger stations, or carry it on with you. Lost luggage is uncommon since there are fewer connections or potential spots to lose it than on plane trips. Sleepers are nice if you can afford it, but I usually get coach and seem to survive OK.

3. Late trains do happen on Amtrak, but not as much as some would have you think. It is pretty common for a train to be up to an hour late, maybe two for longer routes, but sometimes they are right on time or even early. Every once in awhile problems cause a train to be a lot late, but if you miss a connection Amtrak will put you up in a motel and put you on the next day's train. If you don't stress out about it, it dosen't seem to be a big issue.

4. Since you mentioned going from Columbus to Cleveland, I'd say drive if you can, they have free parking. Alternately, if you are going westbound drive to Toledo. Or get on the Three Rivers at Akron or Fostoria, or the Cardinal at Cincinnati. All will get you to Chicago.

5. Since most of my train trips have originated in Ohio, you may find more helpful information on my train travel website: www.geocities.com/coachseats

Let us know what you decide or if you have any more questions!

In my limited experience this is the advice that I pass on to others.

Take the train across the country at least once in your lifetime, and since nowdays the future of our long distance rail service is shakey - go now if you can.

I could never travel by coach on an overnight train. So I save my money and get a sleeper. I love getting a deluxe sleeper but if I were traveling alone or just with one other person a standard sleeper would be okay. Food is quite decent and you get plenty to eat. I love sitting in the dining car and eating while looking at the passing scenery - it is one of my most favorite things about train travel!

I try to plan trips with as few connections as possible - and if I have to connect trains I plan itineraries that allow for lots of time so there is little room for problems (of course when you are traveling anywhere by any type of transpo you can have problems - that is the nature of travel).

If you are really in doubt about whether you would like it consider taking the train one way and flying home.

Taking the train IS an adventure but for those who love trains it is an adventure worth taking!

You'll have a great time, I've taken almost every train in the country. I'm an airline pilot and I can tell you hands down the trains the way to go if you have the time. While Amtrak does have some problems its quality has gone up quite a bit recently. I'm usually on a train once a month or so.

Most of the time peoples problems with Amtrak long distance stem from their expectations.

Heres my observations:

Long distance trains are not always late, but when they are its not 15 mins its more like 2-3 hours. My question to people is if you have 2-3 days for a train trip what difference does a couple hours make? I was on the Coast starlight on Monday from seattle to LA to san diego, the train hit (and killed) someone on the tracks outside of LA. Long story short it was 4 hours late getting into LA..the crew went out of they're way to take care of the passengers. Even though the lounge was closed they opened it up again with free coffee and muffins for everyone aboard.

RULE #1

If you can afford it get a sleeper, you WILL HAVE a 100 percent different experience then coach. When you factor in FREE meals and non alcohol beverages for the two of you the price isnt that bad. Plus if the train is late and it goes into dinner or lunch time..you'll get the extra meals more then likely. Trust me theres nothing like sleeping on a train, and you'll have a shower, coach passengers dont. Amtraks sleeper pricing can be confusing for sure. Prices can vary be large amounts. My advice call Amtrak and ask point blank whats the lowest price sleeper from point A to B and work you trip around dates you can get that fare. (or play around on the website) I'm going from San Diego to Orlando on the 24th of this month in a standard bedroom for $317 out the door. When you compare that to $700 plus other dates thats cheap. I take the Coast starlight san diego to san jose every 6 weeks, the fare there varies from $114 one way to over $300 for a room. Research, plan, and book! Remember there is a token 10 percent off for AAA, it doesnt apply to upgrade charges though (rooms).

From Chicago in the winter take the CZ though the Rockies to san fran (oakland) spend a day or two then take the coast starlight up to oregon. The coast starlight IS the best train in the country, the parlor car for sleeping car passengers makes the train as good as the scenery, plus its the only train that has wine tastings everyday and a real (almost real at least) movie theater with surround sound! When it comes to packing I always take a paperback or two, magazines, walkman, camera, etc. Sounds basic but will make your trip that much nicer.

Good Luck!

P40Power said:
Go with the Capital, better times.
Both the CAPITOL (named after the building in DC; capital is the city; the train is the CAPITOL LIMITED) and the Lake Shore have middle-of-the-night train boarding times, which would be inconvenient for most people, however, if people know, they can plan for it. The Lake Shore arrives at 3:31 am and arrives in Chicago at 9:10 am. This will give you more time between trains. You can take a little tour of the city. Also, it gives extra time between trains in case the Lake shore is late.

The Capitol leaves Cleveland at 4:39am and arrives Chicago at 10:58am, almost two hours later than the Lake Shore. So, the choice is yours.

I have been across country about 10 or 12 times and I especially like the report given above by Amtrak Flyer. But extremely important is the point made by Radsmon, about doing it while you can. Hopefully Amtrak will be around for a long time to come but who can be sure?

There is absolutely nothing like a cross country train trip, eps.in sleeper. Everybody should do it once.

The food is usually quite good. You might even ask to have at least one meal delivered to your room if you are in sleeper. Often the sleeping car attendants are quite helpful and nice and you are glad to give them a tip. I say OFTEN, didn't say ALWAYS, of course).

One of the neat things about a cross country trip is that sometimes, you will go to bed with one kind of scenery outside your window(say, lush farmlands) and wake up to a completely different view, like the desert, for example. Where else can you experience that in just that way?

ALso, on the train you get used to the time changes much more gradually than on a plane. Thus, not as much of a problem with jet lag. You sort of take each time zone roughly one day at a time. Bet you never thought of that!!

Time can pass quickly enough on the train if you just live in the present moment. We are sitting here right now looking at this scenery., and we will savor it ...just live one moment at a time and that will help. Sure, bring along books, etc as well, especially at night when it is dark outside.

Your fellow passengrs will often be quite friendly, esp. WEST of Chicago(Somebody else made a similar point above). They are on vacations themselves, usually, and will frequently open up and talk. This especially makes dining car meals a pleasant event, talking to the people with whom you are seated.

Keeping track of the stops you made and noting whether you are losing time, making up time, etc can be iinteresting. at least for some.

If you take the the trip, don't like it and/or things go wrong, at least you a will have given it a chance. And you could likely be very pleasantly surprised. Remember: The trains COULD be gone some day, so ride them while you can !

Bill Haithcoat said:
There is absolutely nothing like a cross country train trip, eps.in sleeper. Everybody should do it once. The food is usually quite good. You might even ask to have at least one meal delivered to your room if you are in sleeper. Often the sleeping car attendants are quite helpful and nice and you are glad to give them a tip. I say OFTEN, didn't say ALWAYS, of course). One of the neat things about a cross country trip is that sometimes, you will go to bed with one kind of scenery outside your window(say, lush farmlands) and wake up to a completely different view, like the desert for example. Where else can you experience that in just that way? Time can pass quickly enough on the train if you just live in the present moment. We are sitting here right now looking at this scenery., and we will savor it ...just live one moment at a time and that will help. Sure, bring along books, etc as well, especially at night when it is dark.
Bill - I could not have said that any better!

You captured some of the most wonderful and enjoyable aspects about taking the train for a long trip! :)

As one of the "complainers" who travels a great deal and who has recently been burned by Amtrak, I can suggest the following.

You have about a 1-in-20 chance of getting a bad crew. Most of the time it is a pleasant and civilized experience relative to the tiresome non-sense in air travel these days.

Be flexable. Trains can be spectacularly late. Those who suffer are those who are not flexable. The proper attitude on a late train is: "So what if I'm late? I'm not strapped in, my baggage is on the train with me, and there is plenty to do and see." The more late the train, the more of an adventure the trip. If your plane is late, you're in for a hassle - pure and simple. A late train is only as much of a hassle as you decide to make it.

As to spectacular delays, the one most spectacular is the Sunset lImited from Orlando to Los Angeles, via New Orleans. Second behind it is the Texas Eagle from Chicago to San Antonio and some thru cars to LA. Neither of these are the trains you would be riding, so that is a plus as to probabilities of huge delays. From Chicaog to the coast, delays are more likely to be 1 to 3 hours, not the huge 8 or 10 hours delays of the other trains mentioned.

The California Zephyr on the other hand has only arrived into Emeryville, CA ontime about once every 125 days. In my opinion the Zephyr is definitely starting to take the role away from the sunset limited as being the train that is late most often, however as im sure we know, the sunsets delays are usually worse.

Part of the 5/6's troubles are UP some are equipment related and some are just to bad luck i.e. derailments. The Zeph was screwed when they decided to make the scheduled arrival time in Emeryville an hour earlier than what it used to be knowing fully well that the train was rarely on time into Emeryville.

I thought about a cross-country trip on Amtrak last year only not taking it due to time constraints. My biggest problem is I don;t think I could stay awake for 3 straight days as I am one of those people who can't sleep in a moving vehicle and has to see everything I can.

I'm sure that after three days your body could find a way to let you sleep no matter where you are. :lol:

The biggest problem when we took the Zephyr was a UP freight derailment in the desert with a single track main and no where to go. We sat motionless for about 3 hours, finally arriving into SAC 4 hours and 14 minutes late. Had it not been for the padding it would have been closer to 5. (see my website for travelogue) :) Of course I love it when a train runs late, (hence the signature), so I did not have any complaints :D

The Capitol Limited leaves Toledo at 7:01 am (westbound) and arrives at 10:45 (eastbound). These are much more convenient times than Cleveland and it's only about an extra 45 minutes from Columbus. Also the Toledo station is a nicer station with more parking. It is a real train station, as opposed to the Cleveland station which was built in the '70s to accomodate AMTRAK. (Though the Cleveland station is right across from Brown's stadium which is pretty awesome even at 4 in the morning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back