Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Flex dining problem can be easily solved by just offering food that's actually edible.
It’s edible. I’ve said this before but there isn’t any huge groundbreaking difference between flex meals and Acela first class dining. They’re both airline style meals. One (Acela obviously) is presented better but having had both back to back in a short period of time there’s not a heck of a lot of difference quality wise - in fact the portion size is probably better in flexible. Having said that - I’m all for restoring traditional dining system wide.

I'm on the Star to NYP currently; I had a successful bidup (I did near the lowest bid but it was successful) to a roomette. I boarded at Raleigh and did not expect to be offered breakfast (I've only done not-coach travel once before, a Superliner roomette on the flex dining CL in Dec 2023), but my SCA needed to turn/clean my room which had just been vacated, so I headed to the diner.

Let me say I am very glad they brought back traditional dining on the Silver services, and I was impressed (probably due to low expectations) with the Viewliner II dining car, and the Viewliner II sleeper that I am in! I had the Amtrak railroad french toast since it is apparently the classic, with the bacon side and orange juice. It ain't the Ritz, but I enjoyed it and especially liked the dining car layout (large windows great) and interior design features. Service was excellent, too! (I left a good tip, by Venmo, no less, since I didn't have cash and really wanted to say thanks for the great service, especially with me being the last person having breakfast).

I'll be taking lunch in my room since I'm working en route, but I am looking forward to seeing how it is! I ordered the monte cristo grilled sandwich which is a favorite of my SCA's. She brought me hot water/tea + honey which has been nice to sip while working and watching Virginia roll by. I know there's lots to improve with Amtrak, and traditional dining 150% needs to come back to all trains + be as open to coach passengers (which I usually am) as possible, but I try to be positive when things are good!
I hadn't rhought of using Venmo for Amtrak tips. How did you do it? Did you ask the server if they use Venmo, and what method were they comfortable with (username, their Venmo QR code, their email or phone number)?

I hadn't rhought of using Venmo for Amtrak tips. How did you do it? Did you ask the server if they use Venmo, and what method were they comfortable with (username, their Venmo QR code, their email or phone number)?
Yes, I explained I didn't have cash and would like to do a tip, and straight-up asked if they used Venmo. I let them guide how it went (username, QR code, etc.) and it was really smooth. The dining car server was relatively younger enough to default the scan, which is definitely the easiest and doesn't involved having to go through the username thing, and I also tipped my SCA with Venmo. She wasn't as familiar so I mentioned the QR code option and we did that.

Beyond non-cash convenience (i really wanted to say thanks for what I felt was excellent, friendly service!) I find it nice that once you scan or otherwise have their username, etc., you can say thanks and walk away before selecting the amount of the tip. No need to awkwardly stand around; it can be the same as giving someone cash.

I have been highly critical of the flex menu because I believe that Amtrak can do better and offer healthier and tastier reheated dishes. Last week, my wife brought home a chicken pie from shop-rite and we just reheated it. The taste was excellent. She brought home some cooked BBQ ribs for the following night that were very good. This week we had prepackaged coconut crusted shrimp with a sweet chili sauce that was enjoyable. No complaints with this food at all. The point is that prepared food with the right ingredients can taste very good and much better that that stuff that they are are now trying to serve us. Amtrak enjoys the highest revenue from sleeper passengers. I only ask that they get treated as such with good flex dining.
BTW, first class air food is better.

When I travel LD, I'd prefer to have some familiar Amtrak favorites and some refreshed and/or regional novelty. Next time I go I'll look for the TD steak and the French toast, both of which I enjoyed last time. But everything I had from the traditional dining menu was at least good and even the flex was edible, IMHO, YMMV. If I were travelling LD in coach, I would very much appreciate the option of at least one traditional dining meal as an option. VIA used to do that, and the last time I took it Saskatoon to Vancouver in 2017 we all got a pretty decent free meal because we were so late getting to Vancouver (10-12 hours IIRC).

It’s edible. I’ve said this before but there isn’t any huge groundbreaking difference between flex meals and Acela first class dining. They’re both airline style meals. One (Acela obviously) is presented better but having had both back to back in a short period of time there’s not a heck of a lot of difference quality wise - in fact the portion size is probably better in flexible. Having said that - I’m all for restoring traditional dining system wide.
Yeah, flex meals are edible…

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
One data point does not speak for all. ;)
As I recall, all the flex meals I’ve had were fine.
I don't love 'em and prefer traditional dining by far. However the entire concept is far better now than it was when first rolled out. That was simply awful. Still, here's hoping the full dining experience is rolled out to more routes in the coming year, I am not optimistic it will ever happen on the Capitol Limited.

Still, here's hoping the full dining experience is rolled out to more routes in the coming year, I am not optimistic it will ever happen on the Capitol Limited.
The decline in service levels has been rather shocking. The arrival of Covid provided an excuse for the decline in service for a while but that excuse is now wearing thin and is no longer credible.

Still, here's hoping the full dining experience is rolled out to more routes in the coming year, I am not optimistic it will ever happen on the Capitol Limited.
I sure hope so too! I share your thoughts on traditional and flex, now that I've had both. I rode the Cap for the first time last December and the flex meals were honestly fine. However, is there a particular reason you (and many others) think that the Cap is one of the least likely to ever get traditional dining?

This might sound dumb, but is the reasoning because the CL's a relatively shorter LD route, with only two meals served, and therefore it gives Amtrak less bang for its buck to roll it out? Or are there other reasons? (Like the LSL being more 'important' because it serves NYC? Or the Cardinal getting priority due to its longtime political support?)

I have to imagine that the profit margins Amtrak gets from its cafe/lounge cars and even coach passengers doing traditional dining where allowed are pretty high no matter the route. There were literally hours of lines for the Carolinian's basic cafe car fare on train 79 this Monday when I was on it. It was astounding to see the demand, but it makes sense as the Carolinian overlaps up to a full day's worth of meal times if you go all the way, and at least one meal for most passengers.

On a related note, hope that Amtrak and the state partners on the upcoming TCMC (CHI - MSP) service get a cafe car on the service ASAP, if not from the start (I know there are major availability issues). Obviously the end-to-end time of ~7 to 7.5 hrs will be shorter than the Carolinian, but there will definitely be a robust demand for food. They should get local MN, WI, and IL snacks and food products onboard, too, but I'd guess that's too much to ask for from Amtrak these days!

I will take the canned Amtrak emergency beef stew, served over rice, please.
Pasta is meant to be kept dry until just before eating, so no wonder the flex meals get mushy.
If Amtrak would serve foods that get better with more simmering, like soups, stews, and chili, maybe they would be more acceptable. Served with rice or maybe fresh rolls, maybe a baked potato and carrot and celery sticks.
That might get boring for people, although Amtrak could have different 'soups of the day'.

I have been highly critical of the flex menu because I believe that Amtrak can do better and offer healthier and tastier reheated dishes. Last week, my wife brought home a chicken pie from shop-rite and we just reheated it. The taste was excellent. She brought home some cooked BBQ ribs for the following night that were very good. This week we had prepackaged coconut crusted shrimp with a sweet chili sauce that was enjoyable. No complaints with this food at all. The point is that prepared food with the right ingredients can taste very good and much better that that stuff that they are are now trying to serve us. Amtrak enjoys the highest revenue from sleeper passengers. I only ask that they get treated as such with good flex dining.
BTW, first class air food is better.
I don't like flex dining because I don't understand the point of it. You have to wait an hour or more for your order, and you're then buried in almost as much annoying plastic packaging as food. And there was nothing on the Flex menu that I liked. I'm just not sure I understand the point of it, even the supposed labor saving aspect.

The decline in service levels has been rather shocking. The arrival of Covid provided an excuse for the decline in service for a while but that excuse is now wearing thin and is no longer credible.
It is still credible if they have not been able to hire enough diner staff and retain them.

I sure hope so too! I share your thoughts on traditional and flex, now that I've had both. I rode the Cap for the first time last December and the flex meals were honestly fine. However, is there a particular reason you (and many others) think that the Cap is one of the least likely to ever get traditional dining?
Mainly a gut feeling. The Capitol is one of Amtrak's lowest ridership overnight trains. Some here seem to enjoy the race to the bottom, but I believe this train is lower on the priority list than the Texas Eagle.

Maybe down the road if the Capitol has it's full contingent of cars back as refurbishments progress, I'll feel differently. But I've heard nothing encouraging in the least.

Hi there! We have an upcoming short trip in a sleeper on the Coast Starlight, from Santa Barbara to LA, departing at 6:19pm. It sounds like that might be after the last seating for dinner for the starlight.

Can anyone tell me what our options will be for getting food on the train at that hour? Just trying to figure out whether to get something to bring on or not.

Hi there! We have an upcoming short trip in a sleeper on the Coast Starlight, from Santa Barbara to LA, departing at 6:19pm. It sounds like that might be after the last seating for dinner for the starlight.

Can anyone tell me what our options will be for getting food on the train at that hour? Just trying to figure out whether to get something to bring on or not.
Normally, you would be able to have dinner in the dining car. If you are traveling in a room, your Attendant will have made a reservation for you. If you are traveling coach, dinner is space-available for $45 per person. There may be restrictions on dining car availability on this final leg of the Starlight's journey from Seattle.

The Cafe will also be available, but will close well before arrival in LA. Buy from there as soon as you board.

Is there any news on when the menus will change again? IMO, it’s time for a refresh for both flex and traditional.
Just heard from a service attendant on the empire builder that there is a menu refresh in the works ‘in about a month’.

I inquired what he heard was in the works, and he mentioned some changes - but all seemed minor.

At lunchtime he mentioned a different sand which option.

At dinner, he mentioned the removal of the lemon cake (did not inquire about if that would be replaced with something else.

He also said chicken entree at dinner might have a different sauce?

Anyways, guess we’ll see if any of that holds to be true

Back