Amtrak E60MAs.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
I went to Geoff's Amtrak Notes Site tonight and I look the site and the there is a reported on the E60MAs and the site said all the remaining ones are now out of service now.

Amfleet said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would this be the first piece of equipment Amtrak bought new that is being preserved and put into a museum.
E60MA #603 could be the first piece that's put into a museum, but doesn't F40PHR #231 have the recognition of the first Amtrak-bought equipment being preserved, or was #603 put into the museum before #231 was bought from Amtrak?

Well there's a lot of other equipment that's preserved from Amtrak, but doesn't get recognition. Many cars have been bought from Amtrak and preserved, SSB 1200 555 was bought and preserved, and even the Juanita Terminal's Pennsy E-8's are ex-Amtrak. So, no the 603's not the first, and won't be te last.

battalion51 said:
Well there's a lot of other equipment that's preserved from Amtrak, but doesn't get recognition. Many cars have been bought from Amtrak and preserved, SSB 1200 555 was bought and preserved, and even the Juanita Terminal's Pennsy E-8's are ex-Amtrak. So, no the 603's not the first, and won't be te last.
Well Amfleet didn't say that this was the first piece of Amtrak equipment to be preserved. He stated in his post, that he thought that the E60's were the first thing that Amtrak brought brand new (read never owned by any other RR), to be preserved.

Amtrak's E-8's were not brought by Amtrak, they were hand me downs. So they wouldn't qualify under his guidelines. I'm not sure about the SSB you mentioned.

I think the California Railroad Museum got the first Original Amtrak equipment piece, an F40PH a few years back, before 231 was bought. It was in the December 99 Trains, I think It was either 281 or 381, Im not sure. Ill look it up.

That could depend upon when the 231 was bought and when the 281 was donated to the CSRM California State Railroad Museum. I first noticed it on the property in February I don't know when the deal was closed though.

P40Power said:
I think the California Railroad Museum got the first Original Amtrak equipment piece, an F40PH a few years back, before 231 was bought. It was in the December 99 Trains, I think It was either 281 or 381, Im not sure. Ill look it up.
In fact, just this past summer I got this shot of their preserved F40:

1069762879260_P4040118.jpg

That's preserved? Even the Juanita E-8's look better than that, and they're almost always doing road work.

Well ill rephrase that, this is the F40 they purchased from Amtrak. :lol: I hope eventually they will end up fixing it up a little bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is another good 15-20 years before an F-40 is actually preserved. Though Amtrak gave up its fleet of F-40's, a good portion of commuter railroads still use them today in daily service. The MBTA is currently roating its some 80 units through a complete rebuild program. Even after the commuter railroads give up their F-40's, they will probably spend the last years of service in freight or tour railroads.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
P40Power said:
I think the California Railroad Museum got the first Original Amtrak equipment piece, an F40PH a few years back, before 231 was bought.  It was in the December 99 Trains, I think It was either 281 or 381, Im not sure.  Ill look it up.
Gotta love the pictures of my neighborhood :) I think I sent VL pics I tool of the 281 in February but I can't remember.

tp49 said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
P40Power said:
I think the California Railroad Museum got the first Original Amtrak equipment piece, an F40PH a few years back, before 231 was bought.  It was in the December 99 Trains, I think It was either 281 or 381, Im not sure.  Ill look it up.
Gotta love the pictures of my neighborhood :) I think I sent VL pics I tool of the 281 in February but I can't remember.
I think you did, I've got a lot of work to do on the site. This calls for a 4 day weekend! :D

Probably because they're not cost efficient to operate, meaning that having them around and havign to repair them is more expensive then it would be to take them out of service.

Here is a Update 4 E60s are reported in Bethlehem PA to be awaiting to Naporano scrap NJ this past Wednesday.

F40 #231 was the second F40 to be officially preserved. #281 was the first, and both of these F40s were preserved before the E60 #603 was.

From what it seems, F40 #281 appears to be the first Amtrak-bought locomotive to a museum.

http://www.f40phr231.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back