Amtrak hits truck (mpeg)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm was born in Oxnard and that looked like fifth street and Rose Ave. It is a bad crossing, my grandmother had a crossing gate hit the rear of her car once at that crossing. That was back in the day when it was just strawberry fields, now it's built up with more traffic.

One word, Wow! :blink: Well I guess we all know now what happens when you mix a Surfliner and a semi. My only question is whether the Surfliner was cruising at 79 or 90.

Since the school bus crash in illinois the traffic lighs near railroad crossings are to let traffic off the crossing.

in otherwords that truck should have had a green light, so traffic locked on crossing were to be able to get off the crossing. I see big lawsuit involving the town that failed to implement this.

A-Nonny-Moose said:
Since the school bus crash in illinois the traffic lighs near railroad crossings are to let traffic off the crossing.in otherwords that truck should have had a green light, so traffic locked on crossing were to be able to get off the crossing. I see big lawsuit involving the town that failed to implement this.
That may be the case, however the driver should have continued when the light was yellow, or should have never pulled up over that crossing in the first place. I don't know the actual physical characteristics of the area, but it appears to me there is only about a car length or two of room between the crossing and the intersecting street. He/she shouldn't have stopped on the crossing. Unless another vehicle preceding the truck stopped suddenly or stopped traffic in the intersection on the other street, then I can't understand why the truck was there in the first place. Nobody should block any tracks whether they are a main line or a spur, even if there is no train for a hundred miles! Does anyone know if there was a "do not block tracks" sign posted anywhere? OBS...

That was creepy. I saw it on the news also. We have a train track behind our house (in fact it creeps around two intersections). On one of them there is two tracks (you have to cross one and then there is a short space before the other one). It gives me the creeps when I cross. I make sure I am not between the two tracks when the train comes through. Scarry thing is that my youngest will be driving soon and will be crossing those spots on the way to school.

Gingee01 said:
That was creepy. I saw it on the news also. We have a train track behind our house (in fact it creeps around two intersections). On one of them there is two tracks (you have to cross one and then there is a short space before the other one). It gives me the creeps when I cross. I make sure I am not between the two tracks when the train comes through. Scarry thing is that my youngest will be driving soon and will be crossing those spots on the way to school.
Well do your best to impress upon him/her, to always slow down, turn down the radio and listen for the horn. Even if there are gates and lights, I always turn down my radio at every crossing and even roll down my window at least a bit.

Aloha

That trailer was empty, could the filmaker have staged the placement? I remember the news said something like the film came from someone doing a story on RR crossings.

Back