Amtrak in UK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe

Hi Folks, I was wondering if Amtrak has any affiliates in the United Kingdom? I need info for a report I am doing for my business class. If anyone has any information or direct me to where I can get the information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, JD

Joe said:
Hi Folks, I was wondering if Amtrak has any affiliates in the United Kingdom? I need info for a report I am doing for my business class. If anyone has any information or direct me to where I can get the information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance, JD
No. Amtrak only operates trains within the continental United States and has 4 routes that lead into Canada (Adirondack, Maple Leaf, International, and Pacific Northwest Cascade) Though Amtrak is not a government operation it was formed by congress back in the late 1960's and was known as the National Passenger Railroad Corporation (Amtrak's true company name).

I am not sure when the idea for Amtrak began to take shape (perhaps it was the very late 60's) but the actual first day of operation was May 1, 1971. It was to have originally been called "Railpax".

Bill Haithcoat said:
I am not sure when the idea for Amtrak began to take shape (perhaps it was the very late 60's) but the actual first day of operation was May 1, 1971. It was to have originally been called "Railpax".
I remember reading that in one of the articls in trains Magazine (may 1991) gives a good intro to Amtrak's beginnings.

The Amtrak website says that it's a blend of "American" and "track". Who knows :lol:

Joe said:
Hi Folks, I was wondering if Amtrak has any affiliates in the United Kingdom?  I need info for a report I am doing for my business class.  If anyone has any information or  direct me to where I can get the information it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance, JD
Back to the original question, there is indeed an Amtrak in the UK, but it is not affiliated with the US passenger railroad in any way. Amtrak Express Parcels Limited, headquartered in Bristol, is an overnight package delivery business; kind of a UK version of FedEx. The website for this other Amtrak is here.

That does explain the confusion but it brings up another question. Why does it call itself that? Do they figure not enough people in England would know what the word means in the states,etc? I notice that the one in UK was established in 1987, well after our rail service. Perhaps they felt the differences in the countries, cultures etc were sufficient to waylay any confusion?

Wonder what the actual derivation is of their name? I know that some words have different meanings on opposite sides of the Atlantic, but these are invented commercial names of modern day business so looks like they would have avoided confusion. After all, some people in the UK would like to travel in the US., and need to know that "our" Amtrak has no connection with theirs! (they need to know they are not going to be shipped around like packages!)

On another note. I think Viewliner is correct about the origin of "our" Amtrak's name. That kind of detail gets lost and forgotten and confused through the years, even, perhaps, by the people who would have posted the info Anthony referred to. I, of course, do not have that info with me at work to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back