Amtrak Launches New Advertising Campaign

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
National Railroad Passenger Corporation

60 Massachusetts Avenue, NE

Washington, DC  20002

www.amtrak.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ATK-03-138

September 9, 2003

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM LOS ANGELES

$53 to Albuquerque, $81 to Seattle, $122 to Chicago

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM THE BAY AREA

$81 to Denver, $61 to Portland, $122 to Chicago

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM SEATTLE

$81 to Los Angeles; $118 to Chicago; $65 to Whitefish, MT

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM WASHINGTON

$66 to Chicago, $78 to Orlando, $82 to Atlanta

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM NEW YORK

$72 to Chicago, $94 to Orlando, $55 to Montreal

AMTRAK LAUNCHES NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN TO PROMOTE LOW FARES FROM CHICAGO

$66 to Washington, $72 to New York, $122 to Los Angeles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amtrak this week will launch a national advertising campaign in Los Angeles and five other major cities to promote the railroad’s lowest fares to its most popular destinations.  Advertising will expand to 70 cities later this month.

The campaign marks a significant change in the way Amtrak markets itself, reflecting the railroad’s new “back-to-basics” strategy to simplify its pricing structure, rollback its coach fares and provide information needed for travel decisions.  Heretofore, Amtrak’s seasonal fall, winter and spring promotions featured advertising that emphasized discounts ranging from 25 to 50 percent.  Now, unlike past campaigns, Amtrak’s advertising will promote actual low fares—not percentage discounts—to specific destinations, while highlighting the benefits of rail travel over other modes in humorous and clever ways. 

“Amtrak is realigning its pricing and advertising strategy to better fit the demands of travelers today,” said Barbara J. Richardson, Amtrak Vice President of Marketing and Sales.  “We plan to capitalize on our already simple, flexible and reasonably-priced services to build on record-setting ridership.”

Book Online and Save More

Amtrak will continue to drive sales to its Web site in this campaign, offering a five percent discount off the lowest available rail fare for passengers who book their travel online, now through December 13.  To receive the discount, passengers must enter code H345.  The online discount is not valid on some Northeast Corridor trains, and blackout dates may apply.

In addition, Amtrak will continue to offer its popular 15 percent discount for seniors (ages 62 and up) and a 50 percent discount for kids (ages 2-15) off the lowest available rail fare.  Children under the age of two ride free.

Back-To-Basics Advertising

The campaign, created by Arnold Worldwide, reflects Amtrak’s back-to-basics approach to marketing and pricing.  The bulk of the campaign’s budget will be allocated to newspaper advertising in Amtrak’s top 21 markets plus 49 smaller markets in an effort to increase consumer exposure while keeping costs low.  Use of radio advertising will be limited to six markets, while television commercials will not be used at all.  Online advertising, which has increased 400 percent over Amtrak’s 2002 fall ad campaign, will include banners on Yahoo, CitySearch and blackplanet.com.

As another cost-saving feature, the ads were designed in a style that delivers market customization and flexibility, enabling Amtrak to quickly and inexpensively make changes in its media placements.

Clever headlines designed to convey the benefits of rail travel are a mainstay of the campaign.  One ad promoting Amtrak’s family-friendly atmosphere features the headline, “You never really hear, ‘I’m going to turn this train around if you kids don’t stop.’”  Another, designed to promote the train as an alternative to driving, reads, “There’s no road rage, because there’s no road.”

Another attention-grabbing feature of the print ads are illustrations by world-famous graphic artist Michael Schwab, known for his award-winning logos and posters for clients including Apple, Levi's, Coke, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, and The San Francisco Opera.

Schwab’s work is eye-catching in its simplicity and known for its large, flat areas of color, dramatic perspectives, and bold, graphic images of archetypal people.  Using a single spot color, plus black and white, Schwab’s work for the Amtrak campaign features a stylized long-distance train gliding through various scenes—past palm trees, toward cities, and through forests. 

The illustrations are intended to evoke the love that Americans have for train travel, while at the same time positioning Amtrak as a modern transportation provider serving a wide range of destinations.

Building on Record Ridership

The campaign seeks to build on Amtrak’s record-setting ridership as the peak summer travel season draws to a close.  Amtrak carried 2,223,358 passengers in July, making it the busiest month in the railroad’s 32-year history.  The results come on the heels of Amtrak’s strongest April, May and June ridership totals ever and place Amtrak on track to carry 24 million passengers this fiscal year. 

About Amtrak

Amtrak serves more than 500 communities in 46 states across a 22,000-mile route system. For further information, including fares and downloadable timetables, passengers are encouraged to visit www.amtrak.com.

It doesn't get any better than this! This is what Amtrak has needed to do all along, market-specific advertising. Hopefully Reno will be a destination included in the Bay Area advertising though. I know a lot more people would take the train to Reno if they knew it existed.

I like the new marketing approach already! It screams success! :D

My girl friend's friend is taking the Capitol limited tonight from Chicago to Washington, D.C. I helped her book the trip on Tuesdeay. The fare was 149 round trip in coach. This was an excellent rate. The cheapest airfare for this weekend was 450 dollars round trip. So amtrak's new fare structure is working.

Yes, I think this will certainly help with those on a lower budget. My family was looking at air prices to go to Florida this winter and it was going to be $300 round trip, per person. In the years past it has only been about $150-200 round trip. Though my family would ever be unwilling to take Coach on Amtrak, this does show that families on a budget may be using a different mode of transportation this vacation season. Good thinking on Amtrak's part!

Steve4031 said:
My girl friend's friend is taking the Capitol limited tonight from Chicago to Washington, D.C. I helped her book the trip on Tuesdeay. The fare was 149 round trip in coach. This was an excellent rate. The cheapest airfare for this weekend was 450 dollars round trip. So amtrak's new fare structure is working.
Steve: You should've checked out: http://tickets.amtrak.com/Amtrak/railsale

The current sale is $38.70 each way from Chicago to Washington, D.C., for a grand total of $77.40 round trip. Gotta love the rail sale!

They have been needing to do specific destination oriented advertising for a long time.

Too bad they waited until just AFTER my last trip, of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back