Amtrak on eBay?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piedpiper13

Train Attendant
<_< Has anybody bought those cheap tix from Amtrak on eBay? They are now selling for Jun2 to Jul2. Prices seem almost unreasonable! The only downfall is no Guest Rewards points :eek:

Too, too bad about no Guest reward points or no upgrades to sleeper. Those are important points with me, pretty much ruling out the advantage of the e-bay tickets.

I am finally cashing in on some Guest Rewards in my upcoming trip in August.

Gee, wish I could get Guest Reward Points retroactive back to my whole pre-Amtrak life., or some cash equivalent thereof (yeah, I know it doesn't work that way, just dreaming). I could retire today, before lunch.

:lol: OK, maybe you can't get points when you buy the tix. But, if you use Amtrak MC, you should be able to get them!!! :ph34r: Sneeky

I did use eBay regularly. The sleeper upgrade is not a problem if you ask conductor but you can't upgrade at the ticket office. Last time I got two(!) deluxe rooms for $153 total on EMY-DEN and paid $51 r/t on e-bay. Five people did travel, the total was $551 r/t for five people. That included two deluxe EMY-DEN for $153, two economy DEN-EMY for $193 (had less luck and every other room was sold out), but also $50 credit due broken toilet and late train on DEN-EMY.

Therefore it was $110/person for a total r/t fare including the sleeper and meals. Hard to beat...

But again, since the ticket is not upgradeable, you are gambling. You can win big but you can't lose because the eBay fares are extremely cheap anyway. :lol:

Ooops, forgot to tell you that if you upgrade on-board and use your Amtrak M/C you WILL get the double points for the sleeper portion (but not for your base ticket).

Good info,I have two tickets from e-bay for a June round trip to Min/St/Paul.....guess I can use my Amtrak M/C for a Sleeper...Hmmmm....nice one...& points too.....sweet....I almost feel guilty or dirty or something.... :rolleyes:

gyuri_ft said:
But again, since the ticket is not upgradeable, you are gambling. You can win big but you can't lose because the eBay fares are extremely cheap anyway. :lol:
And you really are gambling, since the conductors are not supposed to allow on-board upgrades. I guess however that you got lucky and found a conductor who didn't know the rules.

Ebay tickets are not supposed to be upgradeable at all!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Good point. And, yes, that is exactly what I use for everything, my Amtrak mastercard.
How long do'es it take for points to show up on Amtrak rewards after paying your monthly bill....mine is new & I just paid my 1st Months bill acouple days ago.....?

Alan,

- I asked Amtrak customer support about this and the answer was always that once there are empty sleepers, it is up the conductor, what to do. He is the absolute God on the train. The non-upgradability is for the reservation office.

- From economic point ov view once nobody wants to occupy that room, the conductor would be crazy not to sell it and generate some revenue for company.

gyuri_ft said:
- From economic point ov view once nobody wants to occupy that room, the conductor would be crazy not to sell it and generate some revenue for company.
I agree that it doesn't make sense to let a sleeper go unoccupied, if someone is willing to pay the money.

However I'm sure that Amtrak also doesn't want to encourage this type of thing, as they are still losing money on the railfare. So that's why they are stating that no upgrades at all are possible.

It is difficult to tell what is the clear line on it but:

1) I did upgrade it not once, but BOTH ways. On the way back there were the last cabins

2) The train from DEN to EMY on April 24 was delayed, re-routed through Wyoming, delayed again in SaltLake and also delayed by a UP wreck after Truckee. There was an issue with the bathrooms functioning in the sleeper. All IMHO minor annoyances - but I was suggested to call Amtrak customer service. I did so. They did see I had eBay special fare, but still sent me $50 coupon to compensate for inconveniences in the sleeper instead of telling that I was not supposed to travel there.

Therefore it looks like it is tolerated even from official point of view, but not encouraged.

gyuri_ft said:
2) The train from DEN to EMY on April 24 was delayed, re-routed through Wyoming, delayed again in SaltLake and also delayed by a UP wreck after Truckee.
I must have passed you on Amtrak California Zephyr MOTORCOACH #6 on April 24: I was on my way from MTZ-RNO that day and train 6 (bustituted that day) was announced at both MTZ and SAC as "now boarding in the BUS loading zone is Amtrak train 6". I retuned home on TRAIN #5 the following Saturday, though, (Apr. 26) and saw the U.P. derailment remains in the Donner Pass snowshed - it looked pretty bad. Did you get to see it?

Yes we did. It was right after the snowshed as I recall. The kids got scared, but it turned out nobody was injured in that wreck. That train carried corn.

Minor correction to myself.

I recall having a conversation with the conductor about different kind of trains in the U.S. and Europe, eBay, sleepers and so on as we chugged from Den towards Cheyenne (unusual route on April 24 due snow conditions in Rockies).

The bottom line: the chances being upgraded from eBay to sleeper arre 100% unless the schools are closed. Once the families with kids hit the rails, the 100% chances will become close to 0%. We indeed had luck because the spring breaks in different school districts are at different time. You should not count on sleepers being empty during summer at all - unless the situation (number of sleepers) improves.

carknocker51:

WBNA is rather fast with award points; I get mine about half way through the next month's billing cycle.

You need to check something if you already had an Amtrak Guest Rewards card BEFORE opening your MBNA account. Look on the front of your MBNA card at the embossed number just below your name. If it is something other than your existing Guest Rewards number (the one Amtrak gave you), then you have two Guest Rewards accounts: your old one and a new one. The new one's number is the one below your name on your new MBNA card. If you have a mis-match such as I describe, then your MBNA points are going into the new account. You'll have to call Amtrak Guest Rewards and have them close the new account and transfer the points to your existing Guest Rewards account. Amtrak is good at straightening all this out even though it takes about four months for the smoke to clear from the process.

Amtrak will tell you that MBNA will send you a new credit card with the correct account number below your name, but don't believe it. MBNA will never do this no matter how many times you ask. Caution: do not call MBNA about anything having to do with Guest Rewards points or Guest Rewards account numbers. These kinds of matters a far beyond the ability of MBNA boiler room people to comprehend, and will only muck up your MBNA account for many months. Call MBNA only for credit card matters, and act as if Amtrak never existed on earth.

Amtrak Watcher said:
carknocker51:
WBNA is rather fast with award points; I get mine about half way through the next month's billing cycle.

You need to check something if you already had an Amtrak Guest Rewards card BEFORE opening your MBNA account. Look on the front of your MBNA card at the embossed number just below your name. If it is something other than your existing Guest Rewards number (the one Amtrak gave you), then you have two Guest Rewards accounts: your old one and a new one. The new one's number is the one below your name on your new MBNA card. If you have a mis-match such as I describe, then your MBNA points are going into the new account. You'll have to call Amtrak Guest Rewards and have them close the new account and transfer the points to your existing Guest Rewards account. Amtrak is good at straightening all this out even though it takes about four months for the smoke to clear from the process.

Amtrak will tell you that MBNA will send you a new credit card with the correct account number below your name, but don't believe it. MBNA will never do this no matter how many times you ask. Caution: do not call MBNA about anything having to do with Guest Rewards points or Guest Rewards account numbers. These kinds of matters a far beyond the ability of MBNA boiler room people to comprehend, and will only muck up your MBNA account for many months. Call MBNA only for credit card matters, and act as if Amtrak never existed on earth.
I see.....One does'nt trust MBNA WHEN IT COME'S TO GUESS REWARDS...ok I understand.I just got this card , so everything is in order so far.Thanks for the advice.

hi all B)

about the sleeper upgrade... if i have the room, i will try to sell as many as possible. most people i have sold them to have told me they will always wait untill they board to upgrade because its cheaper. its a gamble but it does save you alot of money(20% off the lowest accomidation charge to be exact.). if any one is heading sout out of DC, look for me, im on the washington south extra board

later B)

Viewliner said:
I myself am not one to gamble, in fact I reserve my Deluxe room almost as soon as you're able to book them.
I agree, I never gamble. I'd rather pay extra than end up in coach.

I am not in the gambling business either. To me, a sleeper is so well worth it, I could not imagine traveling in such a way that I did not know where I would be that night. For me, the whole trip needs to be booked far in advance and then I just sit back and day dream about it. No last minute hassles, not for me. The amount of savings I might lose out by doing it this way is at least worth something in peace of mind. My trips are never on business, never last minute...always just for the pure enjoyment of.

The last time I took a last minute trip was in June of 2002 when we got the alarm that Amtrak would possibly shut down the following week...so I hastily booked a round trip ATl to BHM for the next day.

I do take more time to plan my actual activites in the place I am visiting. But my travel gets booked first, then the hotels.--that gives the vacation its structure......but the activites, then, are subject to much changing of mind, etc. .

Bill Haithcoat said:
To me, a sleeper is so well worth it, I could not imagine traveling in such a way that I did not know where I would be that night.
Yes, they are well worth it, but unfortunately they are so expensive that they end up being out of the league for many regular travelers, such as myself. I wish they would increase the capacity and lower the prices so I could afford to travel in one. My first trip in a sleeper will be on the Sunset from Los Angeles to Orlando this July. I pretty much spent my life savings paying for it! :(

I agree with you - I simply cannot afford the sleeper other, than via upgrade. Given the choice to travel by train and "gamble" with upgrade or travel by plane I choose the former. IMHO still a better choice.

I did notice, however, that in Canada the sleepers are even more expensive than here and to get a discounted one is next to impossible.

gyuri_ft said:
I agree with you - I simply cannot afford the sleeper other, than via upgrade. Given the choice to travel by train and "gamble" with upgrade or travel by plane I choose the former. IMHO still a better choice.
gyuri,

And there's nothing wrong with that. :) You must do what works best for you and your budget. In fact if I wasn't adament about having a sleeper, I could probably take more Amtrak trips than I do. However, as I said above I just like knowing that I've got a sleeper. :)

I did notice, however, that in Canada the sleepers are even more expensive than here and to get a discounted one is next to impossible.
I hope that you considered the exchange rate when you were checking prices. Last time I had checked one American dollar was worth $1.40 in Canada. That's one heck of a discount! :rolleyes:

Plus in Canada you have your choice of bedrooms or sections. Sections cost far less than do bedrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back