Amtrak passenger's body found in Utah

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of weird about those types of stories. When I was walking through the train a few weeks ago I found on of the vestibule doors open. That thouht went through my head as I closed the door, but we never heard of anyone jumping off (on that day anyway).

Once, years ago ,I casually observed the Crescent n.b. leaving ATL. I was walking over a bridge adjacent to the station....just walking home from work...had not been at the station looking at the train. Anyway, a vestibule door was wide open, steps out, etc.. I sort of panicked, went to the nearest phone, tried to explain to somebody at reservations to see if they could "contact the train" but it was a lost cause.They had no idea what I was talking about. Guess nobody fell out or jumped, though. Seriously, a person casuallyopening the door, walking through the train could lose their bearings and literally fall out of the train, with the door wide open, steps down as it was. It could happen to ME because I have a dizziness problem at times. But even with that I am a lot healthier than a lot of other people on the train, point being that is a tremendous danger to any of us.

Bill, I have a possible explination for what you viewed. On some ocassions (especially in the coaches) it is necessary to open up at two locations, but only one attendant is available. Many times he/she will open both doors and assign seats from one location. So as the train pulls out one door is left open, and will be closed en route as the train leaves the station. While it is always best to have a person next to the door, it is not always possible.

That makes sense, Battallion. Guess it got closed a few minutes after I saw it. The train really was, literally, just leaving the station.

I had a similar experiece on an Acela Regional leaving Penn Station. I was walking back from the Cafe and the door to the first Coach was wide open. We were going through the North River Tunnel at 60mph at least. Being little worried I went to notify the conductor and she shut it. I guess what happens is what ever door the conductor is standing at on departure does not shut, and sometimes they forget (???).

Well I'm not exactly an expert on Amfleet I's, but I would think if the Conductor is using a local door, when his/her key is removed from the panel, the door should shut automaticaly, whether this happens or not. another less likely thing that might happen is that the doors for the car got taken off trainline and were set to local. This is not as likely as someone would have to go in the electrical cabinet on the A-end of the car in order to do that.

battalion51 said:
Bill, I have a possible explination for what you viewed. On some ocassions (especially in the coaches) it is necessary to open up at two locations, but only one attendant is available. Many times he/she will open both doors and assign seats from one location. So as the train pulls out one door is left open, and will be closed en route as the train leaves the station. While it is always best to have a person next to the door, it is not always possible.
From experience, I know this is true, however, it is certainly not the accepted way to do it. Either way, that door is supposed to be closed while the train is in motion. We attendants often get yelled at for such occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back