Amtrak Reno Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
QUOTE (WoodenMike @ Thu, Dec 12, 2002, 03:56 PM)

I'm more interested in those station attendants in Reno closing the station for an hour to go to lunch together when the hours are listed otherwise. Why paint hours on the door if you're not going to be there? Did you both have to go to lunch at the same time? Not very good policy in the eyes of this taxpaying American.

---

QUOTE (tubaallen)

Posted: Thu, Dec 19, 2002, 01:16 PM

And, as for the things we want to see changed...I saw something ealier in this discussion about the Reno station attendants. Well guess what...I worked the CZ three times this summer....and each time, the attendant(s) were not there....they were sick, so no one else could do it. I had to help the conductors unload about 200 suitcases off of the baggage car (for some tour group we had) just because the station attendant wasn't there. We must have had those streets blocked for at least our legal 10 minutes....maybe even more.

---

QUOTE (WoodenMike)

Posted: Thu, Dec 19, 2002, 03:22 PM

LOL!!!

So, tubaallen, you were spared the meeting of the very unpleasant Mr. J. Willigham? Condider yourself lucky! LOL! With the arrival and departure times the California Zephyr has from Reno, I'll bet Amtrak could attract a great deal more business from the bay area if they had a competent station staff and a little planning! If anyone's ever stuck in Reno, having to check out of their hotel at 11:00AM and wait for the eastbound CZ at 4:11PM, might I suggest the friendly folks only a block southeast of the station at "Longneck's Eatery and Spirits", on the corner of 2nd and Lake. Very friendly, good atmosphere, and great lunch specials!!! God forbid you want to wait in the station!!! LOL!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WM: I have only been at the Reno station a handful of times, but from what I recall I only remember one ticket agent at the station every time I was there. You mentioned that "those station attendants closing the station for an hour to go to lunch together..." Was there two agents at the station that day? Were they both "working"? I agree that it is very bad policy and rude to close the station for an hour to go to lunch when it is supposed to remain open throughout the day, especially if you were waiting in the station.

tubaallen: I, too, have noticed that the Reno station is closed quite often. I only work in the Martinez station on Sundays, and there have been a few times (about three) within the past year that we were unable to check bags on the Zephyr to Reno because the station wasn't staffed that day. If it has been unstaffed on three Sundays within the past year, I wonder how many times it was closed on all the other days. It is supposed to be open seven days a week according to Amtrak. Is Mr. J. Willingham the only ticket agent and works seven days a week and that is why it is closed so often (he needs a few days off every once in a while)? If so, who was the other ticket agent mentioned above? And, if there is another ticket agent, why is the station ever closed - shouldn't the ticket agent be filling in?

Sorry I have so many questions! I am currently in my last year of h.s now and it looks like I might be attending the University of Nevada at Reno next year (beg. fall 03). If that is the case, I will be after Willingham's job (at least the Fri, Sat, and Sun) portion of it, or maybe I can be a "fill in" person when he's not there so the station isn't closed until the weekend position (if this is how its done) opens. One thing I can tell you for sure - my first priority would be to liven up the place! It is very depressing and I can understnad why those of you who have commented on the issue would not want to wait there. I would begin by tearing down that ugly black wall between the waiting room and ticket counter. It should have a more friendly, open atmosphere! A little music in the background, a tv with CNN news, some green plants, complimentary coffee (it's cheap enough), and clear audio announcements that INFORM passengers on the status of their train would be a good start!

And, while I'm on the topic of the Reno station, has anyone been following the horrid Reno ReTRAC project that will put three to four miles of the tracks underground through town? All that I heard so far is that the Amtrak station will be moved to a "new Reno location" within a few months alongside a shoo-fly track that is currently being constructed to bypass downtown while underground trench construction occurs. From what I understand, the train station in downtown will remain where it is when the construction is complete in (Dec '04?) It is supposed to have escalators leading to the underground platform from the station waiting room, but passengers will not be able to wait on the platform until the train is in the station due to concerns of heavy exhaust fumes, earthquakes, and severe ground shaking.

Just put some slot machines in the station just like at Vegas airport (might also help increase revenue too :) )

oooh - slot machines! Does anyone know what happened to yesterday's train 5 & train 6 through Reno? The Amtrak web site showed both trains as "information unavailable due to a service disruption" yesterday, and today says that "at this time no further information is available." Was there a problem on the line?

jccollins, This should answer your question.

California Zephyr service was disrupted due to a December 31 Union Pacific freight derailment at Blue Canyon, Cal., in the Sierra Nevada range. Adding to the disruption caused by the derailment was a blizzard that closed both main highways between Sacramento and Reno. Amtrak annulled the Zephyr west of Sparks, Nev. (near Reno), and put passengers up in area hotels until either the tracks or roads could be cleared.
This story can be found in this week's NARP Hotline

jccollins,

I wish I could answer your questions, but alas, I cannot answer any of them. I have no idea. As I said, all I know is that they were closed everytime. I don't know who is supposed to work there, I don't know when they're supposed to be there, or anything. But good luck getting a job there. I think it would be great, but I don't know if it will happen. Hiring at Amtrak is such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back