Amtrak resumes service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak resumes service

In yet another example of life returning to some normalcy in the Pine Belt, Amtrak resumed passenger train service to Hattiesburg Sunday for the first time since Hurricane Katrina struck.

The Amtrak Crescent pulled into the downtown depot around 11 a.m., and while it was just over an hour late most of the dozen or so passengers waiting to board didn't seem to mind.

"It's been almost six weeks, so what's another hour or so," Mario Brown, who was taking a trip to Meridian to visit family, said. "I'm excited about getting to ride on it. I'm glad it's back and running."

Amtrak employee Don Gilman shouted "boy it feels good to be back" to the crowd as the train pulled to a stop at the depot, which is undergoing renovations. He helped the passengers, among them Judy Bertram, load their luggage on the train.

Story

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Yea, 19/20 have been running pretty late down there. Since they started back up, they have been losing between 1-3 hours.
Yea i was on 19 from MEI to SDL on Tue and got into SDL at about 0120 on Wed due to sitting in the siding in Lumberton MS because a NS freight train broke a Knuckle plus MEI was short on engineers so Ray Ray who works the City Of NOL had to be vaned up to MEI to be the engineer on 19 MEI to NOL he was put on duty at 1100 on Tue so he had to be recrewed at Lumberton.

Back