Amtrak rides again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first time since Hurricane Katrina, Amtrak has restored service to Lafayette.

Amtrak passenger trains, both eastbound and westbound, will arrive at the Lafayette terminal three days a week. Service still is not restored to the east past New Orleans because of track damage, Amtrak media relations manager Marc Magliari said. Repair work won't be complete until next year, he said.

"We can't operate due east to Mobile because the railroad infrastructure is obliterated by Katrina, for miles and miles of railroad and bridges," he said. "It's only pilings in places like Bay St. Louis and Gulfport."

The eastbound Sunset Limited arrived at the Lafayette station at 4 p.m., a couple of hours behind schedule, and the westbound Sunset Limited arrived at 4:30 p.m., about an hour behind schedule.

But passenger Herbert Tanner of Palmetto said he didn't mind the wait as he sat on a bench outside the terminal waiting for the westbound train.

"I'm going to see my brother in Los Angeles," he said. "I was going to go last week, but this is the first day the train has run."

My Webpage

Back