Amtrak Roadrailers and Express Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
How many Express Cars are in service? And on what Train Routes can I seen this cars? ( And I saw this Express Cars in Phila PA few times ago)

I dont know how mnay Roadrailers and Express Cars are in service but i know that u can see them on Train 89, and Train 92, the southbound Palmetto and northbound Silver Star respectively

Not anymore. The rotation now is 89 to 92, that's it. Inbound RoadRailers on 89 go to the next days 92. Bogies and Coplermates are reused same day. The Three Rivers carries a lot of Express and RoadRailers, the Capitol Ltd on Express side. The LSL carries RoadRailers from Albany to Chicago, and the Cal Zephyr did (not sure about now) from Chicago to Denver. The SW Chief carries some express on its journey to LA, likewise on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. The Sunnyset also carries a good amount of Express between LA and JAX. In the Holiday period the Auto Train will carry RoadRailers on its entire 855 mile journey.

No. Some wear the Phase IV scheme, these are in the 400000-410000 series. Others wear plain white with AMTZ on the side, these are the 460000 series. Amtrak does also borrow some IC Refrigerated RoadRailers that can be seen from time to time. That's the extent of what I've seen.

Does the Three Rivers or the Lake Shore Limited have lots of Express Cars and Roadrailers on the Train?

battalion51 said:
Yup. Usually 10-20 of both varities combined.
The 3R's might have 10 to 20 various Express Track cars on the bottom. However at least in my experience, the Lake Shore Limited almost never has more than 10 cars, if that.

Especially now that Express Track is being discontinued, the LSL seems to have less than it used to. The 3R's oddly enough though still seems to carry almost the same load it always has.

You're right Alan. I remember my buddy sayin he had 96 axles one night when he worked the LSL. Well 96 is 50 above normal for our trains down here with passenger cars and motive, but that's only about 20 more up on the LSL.

battalion51 said:
From what I've seen just Express, I don't think Ivy City can handle RoadRailers.
I agree, I don't think that I've ever seen a Roadrailer on the bottom of the Cap. Additionally, I too don't think that Ivy is set up to handle Roadrailers.

The only way I could see the Cap carrying RoadRailers is to throw them over to the Star for the trip to JAX. Even then it'd probably take the Three Rivers to Philly and jump on the Star there, though it is theoretucally possible to do what I described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back