Amtrak Runs A Red Sox Acela Express Special

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
This Friday, September 5, Amtrak Acela Express #2159 will be transformed into the Red Sox Baseball Legends train as famed Red Sox players, fans and dignitaries travel from Boston to New York for the final regular season series against the Bronx Bombers.
Boston alumni Luis Tiant and Jim Rice will be aboard, signing autographs, greeting fans and sharing stories of baseball lore while Red Sox mascot Wally pumps up team spirit as the train zips down the shoreline at speeds of up to 150 mph.

However, the biggest V.I.P. aboard the train will be 15-year-old Robert (Rocky) Delforge a patient at the Jimmy Fund Clinic.  The Jimmy Fund, official charity of the Red Sox since 1953, helps to raise the chances of survival for children and adults fighting cancer around the world.

The day begins with a reception and photo opportunity in ClubAcela, Amtrak’s first class lounge at Boston South Station, hosted by former Massachusetts Governor, Sox fan and longtime rail advocate Michael Dukakis.

WHO: Amtrak hosts the Red Sox Baseball Legends Train with Red Sox alumni Jim Rice and Luis Tiant.  Boston reception features Gov. Dukakis.

WHAT: Baseball Legends Train

WHERE: Aboard Acela Express #2159 from Boston to New York

Boston Event

ClubAcela, Boston South Station [Atlantic Ave. & Summer St.]

Media check-in at designated kiosk in the Great Hall of South Station

WHEN: Friday, September 5, 2003

Photo Opportunity: 8:30 a.m.      

Train Boarding: 8:50 a.m.      

Train Departure: 9:15 a.m.      

Scheduled Arrival: 12:42 p.m.

THE GENERAL PUBLIC MAY PURCHASE TICKETS for Acela Express 2159 online at www.amtrak.com or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL.

MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA ARE INVITED TO RIDE.  However, seats are limited. Please call Dan Stessel, Amtrak Corporate Communications, at (202) 906-3860 to reserve space.  Return transportation from Providence or New York will be provided upon request.
The full press release from Amtrak can be found here.

This should be an interesting event. If I didn't have school I would of gone up to South Station to catch the action. I'll be sure to tape the 12 o'clock news though.

I'd be a little concerned since the Red Sox usually de-rail around this time every year. :lol:

That's what I was going to say (or something like that or 1918...) :D

Actually I do know that the NY football teams have been known to take trains to games in Philly and DC and the Rangers have also taken the acela for games in Philly, I wonder if any other teams do this when they are able to.

A couple of years ago, someone committed suicide by jumping in front of a train carrying the NY Giants to Washington in the Woodbridge, NJ area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back