Amtrak Runs Monopoly Tournament Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
The ``Reading Railroad'' became more than just a place on a game board Friday, as a rolling Monopoly game chugged through the nation's capital.
Forty-eight contestants from around the country who are vying to become this year's national champion played elimination rounds on a chartered train dubbed the ``Reading Railroad.'' It was wrapped in giant images of Marvin Gardens, Pennsylvania and Baltic Avenue, and other Monopoly game properties.

The full story from the NY Times. Note: Free registration is required to view this story.

You can also check out the official press release from Hasbro, maker of monopoly, by clicking here. Clicking on the News & Events card on the left of the above page will bring you to several pages of additional info on the tournement.

I've seen pictures of this train on the local news, with huge Monopoly decals wrapped around the cars. It looks pretty cool, but sadly I've been unable to find any on-line pictures so far.

Does anybody have a link to pictures, or could somebody at least give me an Idea on the kind of equipment they used?

So far I haven't been able to find any pictures. However from the video that I saw both on NBC channel 4 NY and DC's NBC affiliate, it was Amfleet equipment wrapped with Monopoly decals.

I found one picture, showing P42 #203. It's on the Monopoly website, so just click here. Then look in the third row of pictures under "Day 1", it's on the far right side of that row. Click the picture for a larger image. :)

You know I wonder what the financial incentive was for Amtrak to run that train and wrap those cars and engine. The other thing I wonder about is how long they will stay wrapped for.

I suspect that Amtrak got paid rather handsomely for the use of that train. What I don't understand is the lack of publicity from the Amtrak PR department. This would have been a great thing for Amtrak to have hyped in the media.

Instead nothing. :angry:

Yes there was some media coverage, but that was just casual coverage. Amtrak should have really stirred up coverage of this event.

I agree comletely Alan. If some of the big media outlests (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) could have gotten word of this, and hyped it, you could get some good free PR.

I found a few more pictures of the train. Looks like there was a private car on the back end, although a few other cars look like Amfleets. You can find the pictures here. Then roll down to the bottom of the page, it's the last 4 pictures on the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back