Amtrak Selects SITA To Develop New Online Booking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Amtrak today announced the selection of SITA Information Networking Computing (SITA INC), the world’s leading provider of transport-focused applications, communications and IT infrastructure to replace and enhance Amtrak’s Internet booking solution ( www.amtrak.com ) using the iTravelDirect system.
Originally launched with SITA in 1996, Amtrak’s online reservation system currently handles nearly 25 percent of Amtrak’s reservations, totaling more than 2.5 million online reservations each year.  Amtrak’s Web site handled 3.5 million unique visitors in June 2003, a number that has grown more than 67 percent over the last year.

“Since our online reservation system is critical to the success and growth of our core business, we are focused on making the online booking process as simple and customer-friendly as possible,” said Barbara J. Richardson, Amtrak Vice President of Marketing and Sales.  “We are partnering with SITA to enhance our online reservation system for the benefit of the millions of passengers who have come to rely on the site.”

Proven Rail Experience

Amtrak sought a technology partner that had a thorough understanding and demonstrated experience in the rail industry. In addition to creating online booking engines for airlines, travel management companies, online travel portals and other travel suppliers, SITA created Amtrak’s first online booking engine in the mid-nineties, and has built booking engines for rail companies in other countries including Via Rail Canada, Eurostar.co.uk and ByRail. This insight and expertise enables SITA to understand Amtrak’s unique challenges and address this project’s aggressive implementation schedule.

“We’re delighted to work with Amtrak again to help them continue to deliver a powerful online reservation service to their customers. Based on our experience with other rail companies, as well as Amtrak, we know iTravelDirect is able to address the level of complexity and detail Amtrak currently needs, while also providing the flexibility and scalability as Amtrak’s online bookings increase,” said Richard Stokes, Vice President, Passenger Travel Solutions, SITA INC.

Current & Future View of the Amtrak Site

In the short-term, SITA will focus on adding new functionality and capacity to the Amtrak booking engine, including enhanced booking of sleeping accommodations, up-front pricing views and integration of Amtrak’s content management system.  

In the future as the site continues to grow, Amtrak may rely on other core components of the SITA product, such as a Super PNR, which integrates other travel services, including car and hotel reservations, into a single record.
The full press release from Amtrak can be found here.

Finally it looks like I might actually be able to pick my own bedroom on-line. :) Yea!!!!! :D :) :)

I like the last part:

"In the future as the site continues to grow, Amtrak may rely on other core components of the SITA product, such as a Super PNR, which integrates other travel services, including car and hotel reservations, into a single record."

This would be really nice! It is such a hassle to have to visit another site to check on car rentals and/or hotel reservations when it could all simply be done through Amtrak's when booking a train ticket, just like it is already available through most of the airlines websites.

Could this lead to a whole new generation of "dedicated connections?" Book a car through Hertz on the Amtrak website and have it guaranteed to be at the station upon arrival, regardless if the train is on time or 10 hours late? Book a hotel at the end of a Coast Starlight trip to Seattle and automatically have the first night cancelled if the train is running 15 hours late? I will be interested to watch this develop. It could be big, really big, and cause Amtrak's ridership to skyrocket when new people visit the site and see how easy it is to book an entire vacation package online right through the Amtrak website.

I know I am only probably dreaming a little here, but it sure would be nice! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back