Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new locomotives look sharp. I can't help but wonder why they use mostly black, which doesn't help its visibility?

Aren't the new Brightline trains more visible, to reduce collisions with Florida drivers?
Those are special livery's to celebrate Amtrak's 50th anniversary.

I found a photo from 1971 showing a locomotive 4316 with similar colors.
Yes, that was a unique locomotive striping back in '71. I think the black in that mainly came from the PC Black. I don't believe any other locomotive was painted that way. The designer of the special liveries on these new locomotives today, specifically mentioned that locomotive in '71 as the inspiration for this one.

Last edited:
The new locomotives look sharp. I can't help but wonder why they use mostly black, which doesn't help its visibility?

Aren't the new Brightline trains more visible, to reduce collisions with Florida drivers?
Only the day one livery is mostly back and that’s a special livery

I am told that 4316 was the first locomotive to be painted in any Amtrak livery after A-Day, but I don't have any way of verifying that.
Several websites claim 4316 hurriedly had its PC black power washed, and given the Amtrak logo for PR photos at Chicago Union Station on 5/1/71. The closest I can find to a primary source for that is the 1972 Kalmbach book "Journey to Amtrak." This text and surrounding photos seem to imply that it did happen very early on. I think I have the Trains magazine issue that would have mentioned that, but I have it stored elsewhere at the moment. Also, I haven't seen any evidence that the silver and red nose Phase I scheme was applied before 1972.
amtrak.png

Last edited:
"Let's try that again."

Video posted today by SantaFe669 shows AMTK 300 and AMTK 301 with P42 AMTK 53 leading Amtrak #7(20) at Rondout, Illinois. To quote the video description on the Empire Builder engines, "...so far no issues plagued either charger. [sic] Even making up lost time out of Glenview."

Why can't these testing-in-production trains come with four locos (two old, two new) so they can simply drop any dead weight and keep moving?
They should. This was a botched job, which appears to come more naturally to the management of Amtrak these days than ever before. 🤷‍♂️

I am old enough to remember the Genesis teething problems in the beginning of their careers. Lets see, how long ago was that? Almost 30 years ago (that in itself is another problem for another thread). But this, I had my doubts about Siemens for diesel locomotives, but what do I know? I am just railfan wandering why not go with GE/Wabtec like the freight railroads that want, know and need dependability. I thought Amtrak learned NOT buying off the shelf. Wait till the Siemens "hybrid" units hit the road in the NEC and east coast.

It's ironic when the Genesis debuted many stated it would not last as long as the F40s. They lasted LONGER by 10 years. Now it could be Siemens get the software fixed ( Genesis had the same problem in the beginning) and these new locomotives have a long career (hopefully not past 20 years). But there is a big difference designing a locomotive for corridor work and throwing it on a 2000 mile run. It worked in the past because the F40 was GP40, the Genesis is a fancy DASH 8, the Siemens.........ugh......hmm.......

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't pay for a TrainOrders membership, but if you do the posts are surely still there from when the Genesis were coming online and many were calling them over-computerized junk that wouldn't succeed. Now that's unthinkable as they've been a reliable mainstay of Amtrak.

I'm sure the Chargers will be fine. Notwithstanding issues that seem to permeate Amtrak's Midwest operations, Chargers seem to be doing just fine.

Via's tentative winter testing has been going very well. Hopefully that continues.

Video from yesterday by James Mihalek shows the eastbound Empire Builder leaving St. Cloud, Minnesota with five locomotives leading it: BNSF 7301, AMTK 300, AMTK 301, AMTK 53, and AMTK 139.

Also from yesterday, video posted by Adam Ghimenti shows Amtrak #6(24) at Sacramento with new Chargers 306 and 307 behind the usual P42s.

Reactions: Cal
Since the Chargers aren't leading, I wonder if they are having PTC issues with the new units.
This was discussed in a recent RPA Board Meeting. Yes, they are having PTC teething problems. Interestingly the IDOT and MARC Chargers had similar issue, which leaves one wondering why the same fixes applied to them did not work on these new ones. But we did not have any further information. More interestingly, even P42s have similar PTC issues though less frequently. All of them happen in various I-ETMS territories. Whether similar issues exist in freight railroads of course we don't know.

At the RPA Council Meeting last weekend of March there will be an Amtrak Equipment Expert who is scheduled to spend an hour or two explainign what is going on with this and other forward looking Amtrak equipment issues and plans. At that point we may come to know more about this.

#6(24) was running two and a half hours late across Iowa until the station stop in Ottumwa when there was a problem with the PTC. Eventually they rebooted it and got moving again. I caught it three hours and thirteen minutes late at Agency, Iowa.

IMG_2211.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back