Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling they won't stay on them heading back to CA (watch me be proved wrong though). It looks like they're just deadheading to Chicago.
They are deadheading to Wilm DE. Once they reach Chicago they’ll be put on the Capitol Limited to DC. Then at some point, usually at night, they’ll deadhead to the Wilm shops for some modifications and then testing.

They are deadheading to Wilm DE. Once they reach Chicago they’ll be put on the Capitol Limited to DC. Then at some point, usually at night, they’ll deadhead to the Wilm shops for some modifications and then testing.
They're almost new aren't they? I wonder what kind of modifications they do on them.

From various railcams and a few people out railfanning today, I saw that there was a charger leading on #89 today (8/28). It was cool to see a charger lead on that line.
It had gone to Savannah for crew familiarization on the route.

#6(26) with 338 and 339 came through at the last wisps of twilight after departing Ottumwa, Iowa just over eight hours late this evening. "Mechanical issues" were listed as the issue on an earlier Amtrak Alert. Didn't help that #6 had to wait at a crossover west of Ottumwa for a late #5 for about twenty minutes.

20230828_202533.jpg

Attachments

• 20230828_202535.jpg
    20230828_202535.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
The ALC-42's are already making their way to my territory on the East Coast! I wonder how the engineers like running them compared to the Genesis?

Change is often unpopular.
True. It is normal cycle. When something new comes they are usually unpopular. Unfamiliar is an inconvenience because until you get used to them they are uncomfortable. But once you are used to it then when the next thing comes around, the same cycle unfolds.

Absolutely. On my line up here (Springfield line) I have on more than one occasion overheard crews saying things like "These GEs need to be retired." But I'm sure when the Siemens equipment comes they will hate it at first initially and pine for the GEs. It happens in my industry (IT) all the time as well with new software, operating systems, etc. Many of us often times hate the new stuff and pine for the old days but eventually you have to adapt or risk being left behind because in most cases the technology is not going to go in reverse so you can adapt or become obsolete.

Absolutely. On my line up here (Springfield line) I have on more than one occasion overheard crews saying things like "These GEs need to be retired." But I'm sure when the Siemens equipment comes they will hate it at first initially and pine for the GEs. It happens in my industry (IT) all the time as well with new software, operating systems, etc. Many of us often times hate the new stuff and pine for the old days but eventually you have to adapt or risk being left behind because in most cases the technology is not going to go in reverse so you can adapt or become obsolete.
I chose obsolete (app developer)…hey, I was ready to retire. 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back