Amtrak test train derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
I received this from the Conrail Technical Society. This was a test Amtrak consist, not sure what it was they were testing. Lyons is along the Empire Corridor, between Syracuse and Rochester, although this seems to indicate it took place on a branch line.

Sunday, December 15th, 2002 at 07:35 EST
AMTRAK DERAILMENT:

At 10:00 EST on Saturday, December 14th, 2002, CSXT train P-975-14, an Amtrak test train powered by Amtrak locomotives 105 and 147, derailed nine test cars going from Erie, PA to Albany, NY west of CP-335 on the Rochester Subdivision in Lyons, New York. No injuries were reported and the cars are all upright and in-line. A crane from Winters Wrecking has begun rerailing the cars.

Viewliner said:
I wonder if its a RTL III, although it wouldn't make sense for one to go to PA.
Probably not. Not behind P-42's. I understand that Set 2 of the RTL-III sets was being moved under its own power from Schenectady to Amtrak's shops in Rensselaer.

I just went over to Trainorders. According to them it was a train of 9 MHC being tested for derailment problems. I guess the cars were constantly derailing and the train was run to locate the problem.

Amfleet said:
I just went over to Trainorders. According to them it was a train of 9 MHC being tested for derailment problems. I guess the cars were constantly derailing and the train was run to locate the problem.
well they found the problem !! haha hehe...

Also according to trainorders one of the cars that derailed was an FRA test car. Hopefully they found the problem but it being the govenment you can never be sure...

So would this have been on the rails that LSL runs on?

If so, that's interesting, because I have heard of a couple derailments that LSL has had. One caused them to get into CHI about 8 hrs late...I was two hours late getting in on the CZ, and they were just coming in as well. Apparently their roadrailers all flipped off somewhere in NY.

tubaallen said:
So would this have been on the rails that LSL runs on?If so, that's interesting, because I have heard of a couple derailments that LSL has had. One caused them to get into CHI about 8 hrs late...I was two hours late getting in on the CZ, and they were just coming in as well. Apparently their roadrailers all flipped off somewhere in NY.
Yes this most likely did occur on the CSX rails the LSL uses somewhere in the vicinity of Rochester, NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back