Amtrak Texas Eagle/Lincoln Service/Lake Shore Limited Review

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
It’s been a minute since I’ve been on here( kids leave less time for reviews)! Anyway this is my first foray into train travel.

I booked a roomette for myself and DS(4) on the Texas Eagle from Phoenix-St Louis, then the Lincoln Service and LSL roomette from ST Louis-Cleveland. We had stayed in Phoenix visiting family over the holidays, and I wanted to try something different on the way home, since I had extra time. I am glad that we did, as I love any new travel experience!

I made a vlog about each, if anyone cares to watch:
( Part one-Texas Eagle)
(Part two- LS and LSL)

For those that aren’t into videos, here’s my quick rundown:

The roomette was a nice breather from flying, and probably from sitting in coach for the duration- although coach seats on the trains looked a lot nice than what the aluminum birds are offering these days.
Especially with Covid, it felt a lot more sanitary. For DS and I, the space was perfect. It is small but would be absolutely fine for one person or a set up like ours. I think two adults could get a little claustrophobic if they didn’t get along 😂

The chairs were spacious and comfy, but I had a very difficult time converting them into a bed and back. I hated to bug the SCA, but both were accommodating. Unfortunately, one chair wouldn’t fold back up all the way, but I just made that DS’s seat once I figured that it wasn’t going to get fixed. The top bunk was no problem to fold up or down. The mattress topper, bedding and pillows were much better than I expected and we slept well both nights on the TE.

The meals on Day 1 in the dining car were pretty good, as was the service. Day 2 was the flex menu, which I was prepared for. It was definitely a step down, but edible, and the dining car attendant seemed irritable but they did have him spread thin- he had to act as a bouncer for the dining car during the stretch that the sleepers were there and the coach passengers wanted to come in. I don’t think anyone cared who was there, but I’m sure it was a Covid policy, so the poor guy had to enforce it. I’d still bring extra snacks though, as the selection is limited and you won’t really have much chance to get anything at a stop if you don’t like what is in the train. We were fine with what was offered, don’t get me wrong- but it’s nice to have something on hand in between meals and not have to leave your room.

The bathrooms were probably the least pleasant experience. Basically, expect an airplane bathroom. At the end of Day 1, they were looking pretty sketchy. Our new SCA on Day 2 really laid down the rules though, and they were a lot cleaner after that. The shower room was actually pretty clean and the water pressure/temp was pretty good.

The stops were pretty quick, and we didn’t get off unless they announced it was a “smoke break.” Except for Dallas and El Paso, we pretty much walked up and down the length of the train and got back on. Despite all of my research, we lucked out with timing on the TE and reached each stop on time, if not early. Also, the cell service was pretty good the entire trip, which was a pleasant surprise.

The Lincoln Service was basically a commuter train, and for the five hour trip, it was comfortable. A lot of people tried to claim the empty seat next to them with their bags, jackets,etc. I had an issue finding two seats together for us and had to have the conductor assist, which he did bully giving us a business class upgrade. He spent a good portion of the trip reminding people to move their belongings and not claim the empty seats- it was quite a show. Of course, this was the train that had a delay and chipped my layover in half!

Chicago Union Station- my least favorite portion of the entire experience. I lived in NYC for four years, so I’m no stranger to rude people( and I admit I blended in during my time there). However, I was pretty appalled by the people that literally shoved my child and I on the platform. Luckily, one guy gave us a hand with the luggage before I completely lost it! When we got inside, I could not find a single Amtrak employee at baggage claim or the information desk that could direct me to the Metropolitan Lounge , or allow me to check my luggage. I found the general departure lounge, where I eventually found someone who allowed DS and I down the platform to the LSL since we were in a sleeper.

Upon going down the platform, two SCAs were watching me and asked why I didn’t check my bags or get a Red Cap to help me. When I said that there was NO ONE in sight, they then told me that my luggage wasn’t going to fit on the train. Then for some reason they could t find my reservation despite my presenting the e ticket on my phone. At that point, I was done. It had been a long stressful day and we were both tired. I started bawling and that freaked both men out- they were trying to tell me to calm down( has this phrase EVER worked on anyone who is upset?) and then got the conductor(?) who took one look at my phone, then us, and led us onto the train and into our roomette. I don’t know what he said or did, but suddenly, the luggage situation was handled. The one SCA returned and did a complete 180- he was sweet as anything and kept saying “I got you, it’s ok.” It ended up fine but was a rough transition.

The roomette here had a toilet and sink in it, and I was able to maneuver the seats independently on this one. Since it was late, we just got a quick snack and drink and went to bed right away. This train was delayed somewhere overnight and we got to Cleveland two hours late, but since it meant extra sleep, it was fine. I had parked my car at the station prior to the trip, and was grateful to have it right there when we arrived!

Anyway that’s my review in a nutshell! DS loved it, which was one of the main purposes. I would do it again, but probably with less luggage( it was Christmas time) and would either try to avoid Chicago or arrange an extremely long layover. Oh well, live and learn!

I had an issue finding two seats together for us and had to have the conductor assist, which he did bully giving us a business class upgrade

My first train trip was at an age close to the age of your son. Don't know the reason it happened, but one one trip the train's conductor gave my Mother and me an upgrade to the Parlor Car (a car that had individual, swivel seats with an Attendant). We always traveled in Coach on that part of our train trips, so even though I was young, I recognized this as being a "First Class" experience.

I am glad to know that your son enjoyed the trip. You may have started a "travel addiction" for him just as my Mother did for me. Thank you for your report and the videos.

Back