Amtrak Thruway Bus Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live 45 minutes from Needles and in fact just saw this Thruway service last night when departing westbound on #3. It is most definitely a van, Econoline sized, with a trailer in back for luggage. The operator of this service is called Commuter Carriers and they have to be making a -killing- with all the business to and from Vegas.

I've never taken that bus as I live within reasonable driving distance to the cities it serves... but I've seen it enough times out front of the station.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can ask one of the drivers when I go back home.

I have taken the connection..

Yes, it is a 15-passenger van with trailer.

There is a 15-minute stop in Searchlight for quick snacks, break.

It arrives at McCarran airport.

Once at McCarran, you are at a completely deserted airline terminal at 4 or so in the morning. I guess you may be able to rent a car. Shuttle busses dont really get operating til around 6. Cabs are there, but you'll probably have to wake up the driver.

No idea how the other way works.

We had a full or near full van on Dec 31.

If your riding the Bus, then just hop off at Barstow. The bus depot is right there - its more of a bus station than a train station these days - and you'll save half the trip (and maybe get some sleep and arrive at a practical hour).

Arkarch said:
I have taken the connection..
Yes, it is a 15-passenger van with trailer.

There is a 15-minute stop in Searchlight for quick snacks, break.

It arrives at McCarran airport.

Once at McCarran, you are at a completely deserted airline terminal at 4 or so in the morning. I guess you may be able to rent a car. Shuttle busses dont really get operating til around 6. Cabs are there, but you'll probably have to wake up the driver.

No idea how the other way works.

We had a full or near full van on Dec 31.
No thanks!

I'll take the "hound" from LAX (LAUS) to Vegas.

A 5-hour ride on a modern 55 passenger highway coach is far better than a 2 1/2 hour ride in a 15 passenger van towing a trailer. Amtrak should be embarrassred by this Thruway connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back