Amtrak Train Status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-1

Engineer
Honored Member
Aloha

I know this is a dangerous question but I seem to be missing something with Amtrak's Train status system..

I Just checked on train 6, the CZ from EMY to CHI. The departure date I entered was 6/26/04 6:00am. I know it leaves 9:30am and arives + 2 days later. Just before this message the Amtrak system said this train had arived??

On another Day, I think the same thing happened for 6/24/04. Most other times when I use the most recient departure date I recieve a progress status.

Is something wrong with the System or is it ME? :D

I look at the timetables and try to decide where the train should be (approximately) NOW, and start there. Select as FROM and TO, the stations you would expect it to have already left and should be going to next, and see what the system says about it. If it is saying estimated arrival time to where it should already have passed, look earlier in the timetable. Eventually you should find an ACTUAL arrival time or departure time. Then you can work forward from there. I always use as a FROM station the last station where the system knows for sure that the train actually arrived (or departed). That gives you a (generarlly) reliable point in space and time for that particular train. Go from there. WATCH that you change the date appropriately if you go back or forward in time, otherwise you may unknowingly tell the system to look at the wrong date, and it will give you correct information for the wrong date. Always remember that when you select TIMES, you select a time that is at least an hour or so EARLIER than the TIMETABLE time that the train should have arrived there. The system looks at THAT (timetable) time to determine which train (yesterday, today, or tomorrow's train, etc) that you are searching for. It doesn't matter that the train is actually hours late. You have to enter timetable times, then search for a current status. Hope that helps.

Aloha and Mahalo

I tried to understand your answer but it was as confusing as Amtrak's Schedule. What I want to understand is if I select train 6 leaving EMY on any particular day I want to know if it arrived on time in CHI. Last Saturday one of the listings said the train leaving on x-day it had arrived. yet the arrival should have been 2 days later. Yet the train from the x-day before was expected to arrive 1 hour late and at ?-city it was 1hr 33 minutes late.

It leaves me confused.

You don't really have to concern yourself with adjusting the time as long as you enter the correct date of the train's depature from the city you are inquiring. The default time on the site is 6AM. The only instances I find I need to adjust the time is when I am checking trains where high multiples of service is available (such as the NEC, Calif, etc). Also when extreme circumstances, such as a really late train or other event, you can at least get a departure time even when it gives you the "service disruption" notice. When that happens, it is good to try the next stop below the stop you are inquiring about. As a last resort you can try the train's originating station. A lot of times it'll give an update in the station arrival portion (the station you enter as your destination)! Good luck. I hate to say it, but sometimes Julie is more helpful, though it is not always a good idea to trust her. If in doubt, talk to a live human being!!!! :lol: :D

BTW, for those who don't know, "Julie" is Amtrak's automated voice response system within the 800 telephone system in reservations! And the lady's voice is really a lady named "Julie!" I understand she is a very nice lady in real life! :lol: :D

I do I love Julie, I am gonna marry her, we could take long train trips together, If she could get time off! :D

Just don't try talking to her in a noisy room, she has a hard time hearing when there's background noise.

Aloha

An interesting addition yesterday, when checking train 6 EMY - CHI the amtrak page said that the train did not operate that day. What does this mean?

I have been checking as in mid sept I ride 14, 6, 59. Some sembelence of on time is inportant. Like connections and Arrival in NOL before dark, room to be up to 4 hours late and make it.

Every day of status for #6 EMY-CHI iavailable on the web site today - today's departure back to last Friday's depature - is shown. I'm not sure what you are doing to foul-up the system, but the site is returning accurate results to me.

PRR 60 said:
Every day of status for #6 EMY-CHI iavailable on the web site today - today's departure back to last Friday's depature - is shown. I'm not sure what you are doing to foul-up the system, but the site is returning accurate results to me.
Aloha

After leaving my prior post I fount I could also check the last 5 days. Just could not check June 27 trip on the 28, on Monday night 9:00pm HST. Could there be an issue of system up dates with the time zones between the east and Island time zones?

Mahalo

Eric

I always check ontime status for the arrival city. For example, when I take 40 on July 12 from Chicago to Trenton, I use trenton as the arrival city, and todays date as the arrival date. I do that each time I check status on the computer or with Julie. In general, I usually get information that makes sense.

Wouldn't it be nice if the online status would show where each train was? This would be easy to compute from all the departure date stored in the system.

It does. It shows the latest information it has from the city that entered the info.

Aloha

A few minutes ago after checing the arival information of train 59 to NOL I tried to Check the arival of train 6 to CHI, I was transfered to booking. Trying multiple dates, also tring train 14 to EMY had the same lack of success.

Anyone know what going on?

Mahalo

Eric :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back