Amtrak trains during the winter months

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on taking Amtrak Surfliner train #775 from Van Nuys to

Grover Beach in January 2005. I've taken this train once before to

the same destination, it was a great ride, but it was really

crowded, this was in August 2004. My question is, are Amtrak trains

less crowded in the winter months?

Thanks

Sean

It really varies, but I would say overall no. If we are talking about a short-distance commuter train, such as the surfliner, than I really doubt it. If we are discussing a long distance train, that travels through harsh winter conditions, maybe yes. But you also have to take into effect the scenery of the winter months, which probably acts to balance out the ridership.

Yesterday I checked the local amtrac trains at amtraks website surprising ly only 2 out of 7 had seats and 3 of them were long distance!

I've noticed on the capitol corridor that the passenger loads are fairly consistent throughout the year with a higher load on holiday eves and Friday afternoons when UC Davis is in session as many students use the route between Davis and the Bay Area.

Outside of major holidays (ie christmas, new years, thanksgiving, etc) long distance trains can oftentimes be quite dead. I have ridden the empire builder in february before and seen as few as 6 or 7 passengers to an entire coach car.

Back