Amtrak travel insurance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An intelligent and well thought out way of approaching. JIS has covered a key risk, the fact that conventional Medicare is not intended to cover overseas travel medical (they do pay on a direct trip to/from Alaska if you get sick while crossing Canada). 

I have found the cost of travel and medical insurance very high, so I don't bother with any at all for my foreign trips. I always have enough cash for a flight home in economy. Other than that, they do a good funeral in Varanasi, so I am told...  :D

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found the cost of travel and medical insurance very high, so I don't bother with any at all for my foreign trips. I always have enough cash for a flight home in economy. Other than that, they do a good funeral in Varanasi, so I am told...  :D

Ed.
Do they do good funerals in New York without a hefty fee too? :D

Jishnu has clearly evaluated his situation and made the conscious decision that he does not need the trip insurance offered by the carriers.

For myself, if I had to cancel an overseas journey, I would leave money on the table with an unused ticket. I'm honestly not into taking "joyflights" simply to "fly it off". The "Miles" I could care less about; I donate 'em each year to one military relief organization or the other.

My "plain Jane" American Express Senior Gold offers nothing for its $65 fee - no "miles", no insurance, nothing - just the knowledge that, absent going "totally apeo", you will not be embarrassed with being declined for reaching some arbitrary limit.

We all know that Medicare, absent some "off the wall" exceptions,  is worthless once you've shown 'em your Passport and Boarding Pass at the gate. I have no other insurance for overseas hospitalization let alone a medivac.

So I need it - and I buy it. Totally respect Jishnu does not.

Define "good"  We (NYC) do have Hart Island, and although they have over a million interments since they started, they are down to about 30 a week now....
Dunno. Ask caravanman what he considers "good". Mention of Varanasi suggest either cremated or tossed into the river as is, depending on how much one is willing to spend, or not. :unsure:

Ok I just brought up NYC (my home) to keep things real, I have no idea what they do in his home town. I'm not big on bringing cultural references into threads, it is too easy to offend, even if totally unintended. I've always seen him as one of the more likeable folks that regularly post here, and (I) would give him the benefit of doubt.

Gosh folks, lighten up!

I thought it quite amusing, given my frequent uninsured trips to India, to throw in a jest about expiring in Varanasi, where many Indian folk would prefer to pass away...

I understood the New York question to refer to my possible demise somewhere other than India... :D  

This may suit train fans more: http://www.tbcs.org.uk/cemetery_railway.html

Ed.

Gosh folks, lighten up!
I thought it quite amusing, given my frequent uninsured trips to India, to throw in a jest about expiring in Varanasi, where many Indian folk would prefer to pass away...
I understood the New York question to refer to my possible demise somewhere other than India... [emoji3] 
This may suit train fans more: http://www.tbcs.org.uk/cemetery_railway.html
Ed.
Indeed my New York comment was entirely in keeping with the lighter vein spirit of you Varanasi post. It is someone else that got all serious about it, unfortunately.

Before I go somewhere, I check if the company can provide medical insurance, and today, when I flipped through the Internet, I saw that in Moldova, the railways are generally closed due to the fact that they do not have money to ensure safety.

Back