amtrak unimpressive.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bsmith

Guys,

I just returned from a trip to the west coast on the Sunset, Chief and Capitol along with connections via the Star and the Super Train. It had been years since I last rode the rails and after this trip, maybe never again. It was appauling the condition of the equipment, the OTR (11 hours late into LAX via Sunset) and the low level of service and respect from the crew. You would think thay would pay you to ride....There were so many negatives that I will not wast time on an explaniation. Just the cleanliness (or lack there of) alone was enough to turn me off. I rode sleepers all the way. Some of the fabric on the seats and walls looked like a troop train in wartime with stains everywhere from who knows what. Sorry guys, it does not take that much money to clean fabric on these sleepers a least once every six weeks. Wish I had better news.

bsmith said:
the OTR (11 hours late into LAX via Sunset)
Well, if it's any consolation, Amtrak cannot control the current state of the Sunset Limited's on-time performance. The host railroads (UP and CSX) own the tracks and do the dispatching, not Amtrak. Unless the delays were due to Amtrak equipment failures, there really isn't much Amtrak can do. The Sunset Limited has had a 0.0% on-time performance rating for two months or more, due to these outside factors.

I don't mind being late (more time on the train is a good thing) if I have a nice clean environment with a respectful crew.

Understood. You may wish to contact Amtrak Customer Service for an attempt at a refund for the portions of your journey that were unsatisfactory. I've done it before, to be sure. Not every trip can be perfect. :)

HI Bsmith,

Sorry the trip wasnt a good one. That's a bummer considering Amtrak sleepers ain't cheap. I think my rides on Amtrak (though there were problems!) was so good was that I went into it with such low expectations. Plus I'd ridden on Serbian trains. My god, how awful.

Like the rest, I like late trains! :)

I agree with bsmith: clean the friggin' material now and then, okay?

Attitudes, attitudes. It's not only about funding. It's about crews that just don't care. I'm sorry, but if VIArail can hire decent crews, so can Amtrak. It does, however, involved FIRING the rubbish.

Usually, I have encountered clean equipment in good condition. However, a friend of mine reported similar conditions on the Texas Eagle when he returned from Little Rock to Chicago. Really, the cars should be cleaned in some manner at the end of each trip. So I don't understand how the roooms are that dirty as to be noticeable.

Well the Coach Cleaners are supposed to come through vaccum the cars, clean the windows and bathrooms, water the train, and straighten the cars up for the next trip. I'm not sure what kind of facilities they have in San Antonio for the Eagle, but if the Vermonter can be cleaned in St. Albans than so can the Eagle in San Antonio.

Bsmith, you have to remember that stains and regular grime that builds up overtime can't be delt with by the cleaners after each trip. This is all taken care of when cars go through heavy maintenance cycles every 4 years or so, sometimes during PMs.

Amfleet,

With all due respect.......how can you condone allowing 4 years of filth build-up on seats and wall in coaches and sleepers if you expect "clean" people to support Amtrak.

bsmith said:
Amfleet,
With all due respect.......how can you condone allowing 4 years of filth build-up on seats and wall in coaches and sleepers if you expect "clean" people to support Amtrak.
The definition of clean can vary for a lot of people. For instance a few stains on the seat cusions, grime in the carpeting, and scratches here and there on the walls don't seem like much to me and I think of the car as clean (by Amtrak standards anyway). A dirty Amtrak car to me is something slimy or completely soiled onto a seat cushion or wall.

I would have issues with stains on the seating of the cars as well. Now I would agree that due to current conditions (having at one time worked in car rental) cars have to be turned around as quickly as possible so a through cleaning is not possible prior tp every trip but if there are noticible stains in the interiors on the seating they should be addressed at least every couple of months or so or whenever the cars are in for soem type of maintenance. To be honest the extra cost to clean stained seats would be negligible the only issue would be time to dry if a seat needed to be steam cleaned which is something coach cleaners should be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back