amtrak virgin..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
am looking to travel on the california zephyr (Jan 5th I hope as this looks like the date the ticket prices go down) from Galesburg IL to San Francisco. I am a little confused about stop overs. I was hoping to go to Denver and Glenwood Springs. Can I just get off the train stop for say a day and then get back on?.. or is it easier for me to get individual tickets between all these destinations? :eek:

also there is a motorcoach option from Denver to Glenwood Springs via Vail.. is this coach option included in the Zephyr ticket or would I have to pay extra to do this part of the trip by bus and then get back on the train in Glenwood?... (also would it really be worth getting the bus to Glenwood from Denver, does the train route show u more scenery?)

help much appreciated :D

You must buy seperate tickets for each segment of travel. A new ticket is required each time you board the train. Looks like you need to price your itinerary with Amtrak as follows:

Galesburg-Denver

Denver-Glenwood Springs

Glenwood Springs-San Francisco

As for the bus option I don't believe they will allow you to do that as that segment can be done by train. Looks like a great trip. Enjoy!

The Thruway bus used to run between Denver and Glenwood Springs, intended to take CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR passengers between those stations and intermediate points. However the bus has now been broken up into two overlapping routes, so that you can no longer go between Denver and Glenwood Springs, even if you had been allowed to before. Now the intermediate points still have service to either Denver or Glenwood Springs.

If you wanted to work in an overnight stopover at say, Vail, and then continue your travel west the next day, this would be possible.

Your best bet here might be to call 1-(800)-USA-RAIL to make this particular reservation, since it is complicated with a stopover. If you use the internet method, you would have to use the multi-city option to indicate your stopover; otherwise you would pay two or more separate one-way fares which are higher than one through fare including a stopover.

Back