Amtrak's Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PennsyFan

I would like to know a bit about the Cardinal's consist and operation. I know it runs with Viewliner equipment, but that's about it. What are the odds of it having a Temoinsa diner? Where does Amtrak switch from electric to diesel? How long a train will it be? What are the odds of it being on time into White Sulphur Springs?

I'm travelling with my parents, and I want to be able to answer any questions they may have.

PennsyFan Amtrak's Cardinal switches from electric power to diesel power in Washington DC. And your your other answer is I think the cardinal have just like this:

From New York NY - Washington DC:

one AEM-7 or a HHP-8 Electric

Baggage Car

Dorm Lounge

Viewliner Sleeper

Diner Car

Lounge Car

Coach

Coach

Coach

And From Washington DC - Chicago IL

one P42DC

Baggage Car

Dorm Lounge

Viewliner Sleeper

Diner Car

Lounge Car

Coach

Coach

Coach

Is this help you on this?

PennsyFan said:
What are the odds of it having a Temoinsa diner?
Probably about 50 - 50, since almost half of the diners have been overhauled.

PennsyFan said:
Where does Amtrak switch from electric to diesel?
I'm not sure if the power switch is happening in DC, or if it's occurring in Philly.

PennsyFan said:
What are the odds of it being on time into White Sulphur Springs?  
Probably pretty good. Overall the delays on the Cardinal tend to occur further west. However, one can never guarantee anything.

PennsyFan, on my september trip on the Cardinal RT from Cincinnati to White Sulphur Springs, we were about an hour and a half late getting in eastbound and right on time leaving westbound. Consists were as above, with the added bonus that all coaches and cafe/lounge were reburbished equipment. Very nice on board service crews as well. If you are going to be staying at the Greenbriar in WSS, call ahead as they will send a van across the street to meet you at the station. Read my trip report on my website below for a more detailed report, although it is about the Cardinal west of WSS.

Thanks everyone. We are, in fact, going to be staying at the Greenbrier, and I'm glad to know about the van, as my parents were worried about getting luggage to the hotel. I'm also glad to know about the refurb equipment, as I raved to my parents about the Temoinsa diner I had on the Lake Shore, and didn't realize that at least half of the heritage diners aren't so refurbished until after I had done so. I was worried that the Cardinal, with its single sleeping car and generally short consist would be consistantly shafted on equipment. I'm grateful too for the info about engine changes and consist makeup. I will also, coachseats, read your trip report.

Thank you all!

P. S. My parents are retiring soon, so if all goes well we might have two new frequent Amtrak riders

PennsyFan said:
P. S. My parents are retiring soon, so if all goes well we might have two new frequent Amtrak riders
Well lets hope that everything goes well then.

Have a great trip! :)

Ps. Are you riding in coach or did you book a sleeper (even though it's not an overnight) for the journey?

I'm not promising that you'll have all refurbished equipment, but it was that way for both segments of my trip. Even if you don't call ahead, there is a phone at the station, which is actually a Christmas themed gift shop where you could call the hotel and since it is literally just across the street, it would be quick for them to send a van over. I'm sure they will do the same when you leave. I certainly don't have the cash to stay there, but when I walked through the hotel/resort it looked VERY nice! Be sure to check out the president's house museum. There are lots of neat train pictures and posters in the upstairs rooms. Are you taking the tour of the underground secret bunkers built during WWII? If so, definitely give us a report upon your return.

You and your parents will be having a 100% rail experience.

A little known fact if that the Greenbriar Resort is owned by CSX. Purchased by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in 1910, the Greenbriar was a spa destination for the old C&O. Despite the trend for corporations to sell off functions that are not part of their “core business”, CSX has retained ownership of the Greenbriar to this day.

My parents are paying, so we're going by sleeper. They reserved a deluxe bedroom, which should be very nice. As a young professional I usually travel in coach except on overnight trips, and NEC travel on company money. I did in fact know that the Greenbrier is owned by CSX (It's on their website). My parents also happen to be CSX stockholders (through a mutual fund) and so we actually wound up getting the shareholder's discount. I didn't know about the WWII bunkers, I'll have to mention them to my parents on the trip out.

We will not, however, be having a 100% rail experience, as due to a need to get home for New Year's. and the Cardinal's "try-weakly" schedule, we are flying back on the 30th courtesy of my father's airline miles from business travel. If it were a daily train, we'd be able to round trip it by rail.

I'm sure we'll all have a great time, and I will give a report. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back